Search FAQs:    
What is the size of the student body?
What is the percentage of men and women on campus?
What percentage of the student body are minority students?
Where do Western New England University students come from?
How do I apply as a high school senior?
How would I apply as a transfer student?
When should I apply for admission?
Can I apply online?
What does Admissions look for in a student?
Is an interview required?
Do you have an application deadline?

Cost and Financial Aid
What is the cost?
What financial aid is available?
How do I apply for financial aid?
Does the University have any merit scholarships?
Do you have any financial aid for international students?
What can you tell me about student debt?

Student Life
What is there to do on weekends?
What clubs and organizations are available?
What type of housing is available?
Is housing guaranteed for four years?
Can freshmen have cars on campus?
What public transportation is available?
How many students live on campus?
What is security like on campus?
What is food service like?
What is the drinking policy on campus?
What is there to do in Springfield?
What opportunities are available for community service or volunteerism?
Do students stay on campus on weekends?
Are there any fraternities and sororities?
Is it easy to become involved in clubs and organizations?

What is the average class size?
What is the student to faculty ratio?
What type of academic support is available?
Are services available for students with learning disabilities?
Is it necessary to bring a personal computer?
What percentage of graduates get jobs?
Are co-op programs available?
Do you accept Advanced Placement (AP) credit?
What is your policy for accepting transfer credit?
Will you accept as transfer credits the college courses that I took during high school?
Is the SAT/ACT test required?
How many volumes does your Library have?
Do you use graduate-teaching assistants?
How would you describe the academic environment?
What percent of the faculty have doctoral degrees?
Are internships available?
What graduate schools are your students attending?
What are some examples of companies that employ your graduates?
Are international students required to take the TOEFL?
What are your retention and graduation rates?

What is the University's NCAA athletic division?
What sports are available?
Is there an intramural sports program?
How do I contact a coach?

Q:  What is the size of the student body?

A:  There are 2,587 full-time undergraduates. When the part-time undergraduates, law students, and graduate students are included, the total enrollment is about 3,700.

Q:  What is the percentage of men and women on campus?

A:  About 61 percent of the full-time students are males; 39 percent are female.

Q:  What percentage of the student body are minority students?

A:  About 15 percent are international or minority students (African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American, and Native American).

Q:  Where do Western New England University students come from?

A:  The majority of Western New England students come from Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and the other New England states. 55 percent are from out of state. Currently, students represent 25 states.

Q:  How do I apply as a high school senior?

A:  You must submit official high school transcript(s). First quarter grades may be required for some students. Additionally, you must submit scores from the SAT I or the ACT (American College Test), a letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor or teacher, an essay (topic of your choice) and the $40 application fee.

Q:  How would I apply as a transfer student?

A:  We recommend students interested in transferring to the University have a grade point average of at least a 2.30. However, the Admissions Office looks at each student individually. An official final high school transcript, a letter of recommendation, the $40 application fee, an essay, and an official transcript from any college(s) attended are required. The SAT/ACT requirement is waived for those students who have earned at least 24 credit hours or are at least 24 years old.

Q:  When should I apply for admission?

A:  Western New England University has a rolling admissions process. You are encouraged to apply early in your senior year. Applications are reviewed as they become complete and decisions are mailed out on an ongoing basis beginning the first week in October. First quarter senior year grades may be required for some students. It typically takes two to three weeks for a student to receive a decision.

Q:  Can I apply online?

A:  Yes, you can apply online through our Website. The University's application can also be downloaded from our Website. You can also apply online through the Common Application.

Q:  What does Admissions look for in a student?

A:  Students with a C+ average or better are encouraged to apply. Emphasis is placed on the grades in the primary college-prep courses (English, math, sciences, etc.) not on the high school GPA which includes chorus, art, gym, health, etc. The SAT/ACT scores and the letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor or teacher are also important. Additionally, school or community activities as well as work experience are also considered. The average SAT score (Critical Reading and Math) for freshmen who enrolled in Septem5er 2014 was 1065, and the average high school GPA was 3.31 ("B+"). The averages for Engineering and Pre-pharmacy students were significantly higher.

Q:  Is an interview required?

A:  No, however, it is highly recommended because it provides you an opportunity to visit the campus. Tours and interviews are scheduled through the Admissions Office Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., as well as many Saturday mornings. Open House programs also provide opportunities for you to have a tour and an interview.

Q:  Do you have an application deadline?

A:  Students applying for September admission are encouraged to submit their application before February 15th, our priority deadline. We are often able to consider applications after this date, but space in our residence halls will eventually become limited.

Q:  What is the cost?

A:  Tuition costs for undergraduate students can be found on the
Tuition Costs page.

Q:  What financial aid is available?

A:  Over 90 percent of our undergraduate students receive financial aid. Merit scholarships are offered to freshmen based on their SAT/ACT scores and their high school GPA, and to transfer students based on their college GPA. Financial aid based on demonstrated need is available in the form of scholarships, grants, part-time employment, and loans.

Q:  How do I apply for financial aid?

A:  You must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). We do not have an institutional application for need-based or merit scholarships.

Q:  Does the University have any merit scholarships?

A:  Yes. Merit scholarships and grants are available for freshmen based on grades and SAT or ACT scores. The scholarships for 2015-16 will range from $6,000 to $18,000 per year. Transfer students are automatically considered for a merit scholarship and grants based on the GPA from their previous institution(s). These awards currently range from $6,000 to $13,000 per year. An Additional $2,000 per year may be awarded for Phi Thesta Kappa members. Merit-based international student scholarships ranging from $9,000 to $17,000 per year are also available. The merit scholarships are renewable if a 2.70 GPA is maintained at Western New England University. Merit grants are renewable if a 2.30 GPA is maintained. As a NCAA Division III college, we do not offer scholarships based on athletic ability. The Admissions Office considers every student for merit scholarships; no separate application is required. See the merit scholarship menu item for additional information. The merit calculator will indicate potential eligibility for these scholarships and grants.

Q:  Do you have any financial aid for international students?

A:  A limited number of International Student Scholarships ranging from $9,000 to $14,000 are offered each year to undergraduate freshmen and transfer students. The scholarships are renewable if the recipient maintains at least a 2.70 ("B-") Western New England University GPA. The Admissions Office selects recipients who have an outstanding academic record and who have at least a 79 IBT TOEFL score (213 computer-based, 550 paper-based). In addition to these scholarships, all international students who are interested in working on the Western New England campus will have the opportunity to earn up to $1,500 for each academic year by working in a variety of offices and departments.

Q:  What can you tell me about student debt?

A:  About one-quarter of our bachelor's recipients graduate without student educational loan debt. All together, more than 60 percent of our students graduate with less than $25,000 of student loan debt, although, of course, their family may have borrowed in various ways to support their education.

Q:  What is there to do on weekends?

A:  Each week ends with "Fridays," a program hosted by one of the more than 60 clubs and organizations. The Student Senate, Campus Activities Board, Residence Hall Association, and the Student Affairs Division schedule activities for other weekend nights as well as events during the week. Many students participate in or watch the many varsity and intramural athletic events. The Dean of Students Office estimates that about 85 percent of the students are on campus on the weekends; this is not a "suitcase campus." In addition, students also attend events in the greater Springfield area, including events at some of the dozen other colleges that are located within 20 miles of campus.

Q:  What clubs and organizations are available?

A:  There are over 60 clubs and organizations. Click on the "Clubs/Organizations" menu option for a list and information on each.

Q:  What type of housing is available?

A:  You will experience a variety of housing options. Freshmen typically reside in traditional-style residence halls. Sophomores usually reside in the halls that offer suite-style arrangements. Most juniors live in our ranch-style apartments while seniors stay in either apartments or two-floor townhouses.

Q:  Is housing guaranteed for four years?

A:  You will have the opportunity to live on campus all four years. In recent years, we have not had problems honoring housing requests from students who complied with the published deadlines for housing applications and payments.

Q:  Can freshmen have cars on campus?

A:  Yes, and parking is readily available. There is an additional fee for parking on campus, and you must register your car with the Office of Public Safety. However, a car is not necessary, and the institution strongly discourages freshmen from having a vehicle on campus during the first six weeks when acclimation to college life is so important.

Q:  What public transportation is available?

A:  The Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA) bus company services the University. The Peter Pan bus terminal and Amtrak train station are in downtown Springfield (four miles away), and Bradley International Airport is in Windsor Locks, Connecticut (about 30 minutes from campus).

Q:  How many students live on campus?

A:  Approximately 69 percent of the undergraduate students live on campus. The figure is 86 percent for freshmen.

Q:  What is security like on campus?

A:  The campus is patrolled by the University's full-time Public Safety force. Officers patrol the campus on foot, by car, and on mountain bikes. Surveillance cameras also monitor the campus, and emergency call boxes are located throughout campus. Campus escorts are available upon request. Residence hall doors are secured, with entry available via an access card.

Q:  What is food service like?

A:  Freshmen and sophomores residing on campus are required to participate in the meal plan. Juniors and seniors living in the Gateway apartments and Evergreen Village townhouses have the option to participate in a meal plan or cook their own meals in the fully-equipped units. Students may also purchase food points that can be used at the Rock Cafe, the C-Store, Starbucks, Subway, or Bene Pizza. The normal meal plan provides 20 meals per week. There are always several entrees, a salad bar, sandwiches, and desserts available.

Q:  What is the drinking policy on campus?

A:  Under Massachusetts State Law, you must be 21 years of age to consume alcoholic beverages. The Residence Life Office does not shy away from dealing with underage students who consume alcohol.

Q:  What is there to do in Springfield?

A:  Downtown Springfield is just a few miles from our suburban campus. Each fall brings a new season of Springfield Symphony Orchestra concerts at Symphony Hall; live theater productions at CityStage; and American League Springfield Falcon's hockey, concerts, and other events at the Mass Mutual Center. The Springfield Quadrangle and Museums are rich in history and educational opportunities. A haven for all ages, downtown offers a wide range of dining and entertainment experiences. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is also in Springfield, the birthplace of basketball. Forest Park is a 785-acre wooded park, housing a zoo, playing fields, and facilities for picnicking, hiking, and ice-skating. During the holiday season, it boasts the largest outdoor lighting festival in New England: Bright Nights, featuring miles of theme lighting displays including a tribute to one of Springfield's favorite sons, Dr. Seuss. Across the river, West Springfield, MA, is host each September to "The Big E," New England's largest fair. Throughout the year, the site serves as a center for arts, crafts, and hobby shows as well as regional business conventions. Nearby Agawam is home to the spectacular Six Flags New England Amusement Park. A short drive from Springfield are Northampton with its celebrated Thornes Market and Amherst, MA, lively college towns which add many events to the cultural life of the Pioneer Valley. Ski areas in Vermont and New Hampshire are within an easy drive, as are the beaches of Cape Cod, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. There is no shortage of shopping opportunities in the greater Springfield area with shopping in downtown at TowerSquare, and at nearby Eastfield Mall, Enfield Square Mall, West Springfield's Riverdale Shops, and the area's largest indoor mall, Ingleside at Holyoke. Many visitors travel to nearby Deerfield, MA to visit the Yankee Candle Company. The Berkshires are an hour west, offering skiing in the winter and dance and music festivals at Tanglewood and Jacob's Pillow in the summer. Hartford is a half hour drive away, Worcester about three quarters of an hour, Boston an hour and a half, and New York City about three hours.

Q:  What opportunities are available for community service or volunteerism?

A:  There are many opportunities for students to become involved in community service or to volunteer. The Athletic Department coordinates several programs in which athletes volunteer their time in the community and the local schools. The Community Action Rewards Everyone (CARE) organization is engaged in many community outreach programs. Several classes include community service projects, as does the First Year Program. Some students volunteer their time to tutor in local elementary schools, to participate in the America Reads program, or to help with a local literacy program. The University annually offers Alternative Spring Break projects. Instead of spending time at home or on vacation, students can elect to assist with projects such as assisting with a Habitat for Humanity project, rebuilding part of the Appalachian Trail, or helping to build a replica of an 18th century Native American Village.

Q:  Do students stay on campus on weekends?

A:  The Dean of Students estimates that at least 85 percent of the residents remain on campus for a typical weekend. The University and various student organizations plan activities for the weekends.

Q:  Are there any fraternities and sororities?

A:  No, we do not have any social fraternities or sororities. The University has many activities, and the absence of "Greek life" has not been an issue for students.

Q:  Is it easy to become involved in clubs and organizations?

A:  It is very easy to become involved in our over 60 clubs and organizations. Within the first two weeks of classes, the Student Activities Office sponsors an "Expo." The various clubs and organizations are represented to explain what their group does and to recruit new members. The University strongly encourages students to become involved in at least one group.

Q:  What is the average class size?

A:  The normal classroom accommodates 36 students and the average class size is about 20 students. There are no large lecture halls. Therefore, you will get to know your professor and he/she will know you. You will not become "just a number."

Q:  What is the student to faculty ratio?

A:  The ratio between students and faculty is 14:1. Western New England University does not utilize graduate teaching assistants in classrooms or labs. You will receive personalized attention and you will be able to contact your professors.

Q:  What type of academic support is available?

A:  Support services available to you are non-remedial in nature. These include a peer tutoring program, the Writing Center, Math Center, and Science Center. There is also a mandatory First Year Seminar course for freshmen designed to bridge the transition between high school and college. It includes topics such as critical thinking, time management, goal setting, health issues, study skills, etc.

Q:  Are services available for students with learning disabilities?

A:  The Office of Student Disability Services provides support for students with documented disabilities. Students seeking specialized services are encouraged to contact this office. Support services range from books on tape to individual note takers and are provided on an individual basis. We do not have a "program," and there are no differences in admissions policies for students with a learning disability.

Q:  Is it necessary to bring a personal computer?

A:  No, there are approximately 450 computers available on campus. Hours of operation are convenient to student needs. If you choose to bring a computer, you will have access to the University's network, Internet, and the WEB from your residence hall room.

Q:  What percentage of graduates get jobs?

A:  In a survey of the Class of 2013, 93 percent of the respondents were employed/offered employment within six months or indicated they intended to attend graduate school.

Q:  Are co-op programs available?

A:  Co-op programs are not available at Western New England University. Instead, numerous internship opportunities are available to you. Many students participate in an internship each year, earning between 3-6 credits towards graduation. Engineering students complete a required Senior Design Project. Other students in programs like education and social work must complete a field experience or a practicum.

Q:  Do you accept Advanced Placement (AP) credit?

A:  In order to receive credit for an AP course, you must earn at least a 3 on the exam. In some instances a 4 will be required to have the course waived. In these cases, you may receive credit for an elective course rather than the specific AP course. You should have an official AP score report forwarded to the Office of Admissions.

Q:  What is your policy for accepting transfer credit?

A:  The amount of transfer credit allowed is based upon work completed at previous institutions. Normally, credit is allowed for each course which is equivalent to a corresponding course at Western New England University, provided that the earned grade is C- or above. Accepted students will be sent a "degree audit" which shows how each course will be counted. Students are encouraged to schedule an interview with a transfer counselor if this information is desired before applying.

Q:  Will you accept as transfer credits the college courses that I took during high school?

A:  College courses taken while in high school are typically accepted if at least a C- grade is received. You must request that an official transcript from the college granting the credit be sent to the Admissions Office.

Q:  Is the SAT/ACT test required?

A:  Yes. Standardized test scores are required for certain programs such as engineering, Pre-pharmacy, Pre-physician Assistant and Pre-optometry. However, for all our other programs, students have the choice on whether they wish to have their test scores taken in consideration for admissions. Please see our test-optional FAQ's for more information. If you decide to submit test scores for admissions, each major has established requirements. For example, the Colleges of Business and Engineering place more of an emphasis on the math SAT than most of the majors in the College of Arts and Sciences. For more information, contact the Office of Admissions.

Q:  How many volumes does your Library have?

A:  The D'Amour Library offers an inviting atmosphere for research and quiet study. The Law School has a separate library. Both libraries use the Innovative Interfaces, Inc. and WILDPAC, an online catalog. There are also Internet connections to library catalogs in the neighboring towns and colleges. The Library provides on-campus and off-campus access to Internet resources through its web page at Resources available from the library's web page include WILDPAC, an electronic encyclopedia, EBSCOhost, FirstSearch, Compendex, IAC, and Newsbank. These are a few of the full text and abstracting databases available both on and off campus. Articles from the databases and other resources online may be printed using the library's intranet. The library is open seven days a week during the academic year. Holidays, summer hours, and exception days are posted in the library and on its web page. Internet access to library databases is available 24 hours a day.

Q:  Do you use graduate-teaching assistants?

A:  No. Classes and labs are taught by faculty members; graduate students are not used. Our faculty members have world-class credentials, with advanced degrees from top universities around the globe. They publish books and articles; they present findings at national and international meetings and conferences. But that's not their main focus. You will be their main focus. Our professors are dedicated classroom teachers, committed to making your college experience the best that it can be. They will not only take the time to go over difficult material to ensure that everyone understands; they will also take time outside of class to ensure that you understand. Above all, our professors are accessible -- in person, by phone, by email, even over a cup of coffee in the snack bar.

Q:  How would you describe the academic environment?

A:  The University wants to academically challenge you, but we will also support you and provide a variety of services to assist you. A college education requires a lot more work, effort, and self-discipline than in high school. The Admissions Office accepts students who we believe have the potential to be successful in this academic environment, but you will be responsible for devoting the time and effort to your studies. The emphasis is on your learning the subject matter, not on competition. In fact, you will be asked to work as part of a team for many projects and assignments in some classes. If you need extra assistance, there are many sources of assistance including your professor; the Writing, Math, and Science Centers; and peer tutoring.

Q:  What percent of the faculty have doctoral degrees?

A:  About 90 percent of the faculty hold the highest degrees in their fields.

Q:  Are internships available?

A:  Classroom knowledge and theoretical understanding are only parts of an excellent college education. The other part is gaining hands-on practical experience that lets you put your knowledge and understanding to work. Our distinctive Learning Beyond the Classroom Program provides opportunities to gain great practical experiences. These include internships.

Q:  What graduate schools are your students attending?

A:  Western New England University graduates have pursued their graduate studies at colleges and universities across the country. The following is a list of some of the schools where recent graduates have been accepted: Auburn University, Boston College, Cornell University, Columbia University, Emerson College, George Washington University, George Mason University, Lehigh University, Miami University of Ohio, Mount Holyoke College, North Carolina State University, Northeastern University, Pennsylvania State University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Sacred Heart University, Simmons College, Smith College, Stanford University, Syracuse University, University of Akron, University of Albany, University of Connecticut, University of Georgia, University of Massachusetts, University of New Haven, University of South Carolina, University of Vermont, University of Wake Forest, University of West Virginia, Western New England University School of Law.

Q:  What are some examples of companies that employ your graduates?

A:  Recent graduates have been hired by diverse companies such as: Hamilton Sundstrand, Electric Boat, New England Center for Children, Aetna U.S. Healthcare, Deloitte and Touche, Internal Revenue Services, PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, ESPN, Disney, Boston Red Sox, and United Technologies.

Q:  Are international students required to take the TOEFL?

A:  International students need to prove that they have English proficiency. This can be done through evidence of completion of the official Internet-based T.O.E.F.L. (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a total score of at least 79 (213 paper-based, 550 paper-based),completion of the IELTS examination with a score of 6 or higher, completion of Step Eiken with a score of pre-1 or better, completion of PTE Academic (Peterson's Test of English) with a score of 53, completion of Level 112 from an ELS Language Center, or completion of level 7 at the International Language Institute in Northampton, MA. Students can also submit official Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT I) or American College Testing (ACT) scores. Western New England University's College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Code for the SAT and T.O.E.F.L. is #3962; the College Code number for the ACT is #1930.

Q:  What are your retention and graduation rates?

A:  Western New England University offers many programs, services, and activities designed to assist students in being successful at our institution and in their academic pursuits. However, some students do not continue their studies through graduation. Students leave for a variety of reasons. In some cases, students are asked to leave due to their academic performance, dishonesty, or disciplinary reasons. Other students leave for a variety of reasons: they want to be closer to their family or friends, the university was not a "good fit" for them, their family experienced financial difficulties, they were not satisfied with their academic performance, etc. About one-third of the students who enroll each year are searching for a major and eventual career when they arrive on campus. We have many services to help such students find their path, but a number of students eventually select a major that we do not offer and they therefore withdraw. Generally, students who do not enter with a direction leave at a higher rate. Retention rates vary by academic College and major, academic year, and many other factors. Over the years, our retention and graduation rates have been equal to or better than many other four-year private institutions that have similar profiles. Our three-year average for first year to second year retention is 75. The most recent four-year and six-year graduation percentages are 51 and 56.

Q:  What is the University's NCAA athletic division?

A:  We are a NCAA Division III college and, therefore, do not offer athletic scholarships. Western New England University is a member of the Commonwealth Coast Conference.

Q:  What sports are available?

A:  Men's NCAA sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, and Wrestling. Women's NCAA sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball. Bowling (men & women), martial arts (men & women), and rugby (men) are non-NCAA sports. They have a very competitive schedule with other colleges and in a variety of tournaments.

Q:  Is there an intramural sports program?

A:  A variety of intramural sports programs are offered throughout the year. Some examples of the intramural sports include: tennis, volleyball, racquetball, basketball, water polo, and flag football.

Q:  How do I contact a coach?

A:  Phone numbers and email addresses for the coaches are listed at: