Study Abroad Opportunities
Nothing opens your eyes to the world around you like traveling.
Come explore your exciting options for study abroad opportunities. Meet representatives from traditional semester-long programs at universities around the world. Learn about our Summer London program and Sophomore Experience Abroad (Business) program in England and France, as well as short seminar trips.
The opportunity to both travel and study via a short trip or a semester can be a life-changing experience. It will leave you with a firsthand understanding of our increasingly global society, an appreciation for other cultures and their business and political institutions, and often with improved foreign language skills. International travel can make you a stronger candidate for graduate school and a more marketable employee for today's increasingly global workforce.
Europe...Asia...Africa...South America...Australia...pick the location where you want to live, intern, and learn, and Western New England University will help facilitate your international learning experience. Students have recently attended universities in Australia, Italy, Ireland, Spain, and Finland. Special opportunities exist for study in Guatemala, France, and London. What's your dream destination?
Got Your Passport?
Don’t forget to apply now for your passport to be ready to take advantage of these unique educational/travel opportunity.
Semester and Year-Long Study Abroad Opportunities
Semester or year-long study abroad programs provide an opportunity to become immersed in an entirely new cultural setting. Depending on your university, you will live in traditional student housing, apartments, or with a host family. In this way, you will participate in the lifestyle of your host country and be exposed to diverse perspectives, beliefs, and values that influence the local way of life. Studying alongside native students, as well as other exchange students from all over the world, will present new ways of viewing the world. You will return home with fresh ideas and insights about yourself and your own culture. Spending a semester or a year in a foreign country will be one of the most challenging and rewarding moments of your academic experience.
Internships provide another layer of international exposure while adding an impressive experience to your résumé. Western New England University students have interned at the BBC in London and in the sports industry in China.
Besides airfares, and possible differentials in costs of living, the costs are usually equivalent to what it costs to attend Western New England University for a similar time period.
Arts and Sciences students can make your first year at Western New England especially memorable through the Freshman Semester in London. You will study at beautiful Richmond University, known as the American International University in London. The program costs (including airfare) are the same for a full-time freshman student living and learning on the Western New England University campus with a full meal plan.
Offered in the fall semester, the London Sophomore Experience Abroad (SEA) program offers the best of both worlds—the chance to study business while living in London at Richmond University and the opportunity to learn from outstanding Western New England University faculty. The cost of this unique study abroad opportunity—including round-trip airfare—is the same as that for a full-time sophomore living on the Western New England University campus with a full meal plan. Read the Fall 2013 Student Blog!
Up with People is a group of young people who actively participate in community service and educational programs, as well as perform live for thousands of people all over the world. As a member of the cast, you could be one of 100 students experiencing travel throughout the country and abroad while making a difference. As a Western New England University student, you have a special opportunity to participate in this unique travel, service leaning, and study experience. Western New England University is one of only three colleges in the world selected to act as a partner with the Up with People organization. There are two Up with People casts per year. Cast A runs from January to June, and Cast B picks up running from July through December. Financial aid awards are applicable to the Up with People travel experience and students receive college credit as they would spending a semester at a foreign institution.
Learn more about the Up with People program and visit their website www.upwithpeople.org.
Short-term Travel Opportunities
The Seminar Abroad program allows students to travel and study abroad through brief excursions ranging from one week to one month. These trips are often presented in combination with a course prior to the trip, in which students learn about the culture, economy, or history of the country. This helps to give students a better appreciation of the country they will be visiting and insight into the local culture.
Recent Seminar Abroad Trips
- In the Southern Africa program, students traveled to Botswana and South Africa to study AIDS: A Global Pandemic and Modern Botswana. In South Africa students toured Johannesburg, Soweto, Alexandra, and Pretoria and visited such sites as the Nelson Mandela House, the Voortrekker Monument, and the Apartheid Museum. In Botswana, students studied at the University of Botswana in Gaborone, the nation’s capital, and visited the magnificent Victoria Falls and a game reserve. Read a student blog about the trip.
- In two separate trips, Arts and Sciences students traveled to Ireland to study Biological, Psychological, and Social Issues in Adolescence and Business students journeyed there for an international practicum and to study Global Advertising: Historical and Cultural Perspectives.
- Since 2007, groups of students from Arts and Sciences, Business, and Engineering have traveled to Guatemala to study Global Health and Technology to explore ways to improve healthcare for Third World countries. Read a student blog about the experience.
- In the annual Summer London Program students earn 6 credits in just three weeks. They study at London's Richmond University. History and culture courses come alive through visits to historic sites.
- The College of Arts and Sciences offers the Freshman Semester in London program specifically for first year students. Students l live and learn at Richmond University. Extracurricluar activities will introduce them to British culture and the city of London.
- The Center for International Sport Business (CISB) sponsors Seminar Abroad trips to the Olympic Games and the FIFA World Cup. Learn more about these amazing experiences by reading the most recent trip blog.
- Through the Greece and Italy Summer 2010 Travel/Study Opportunity, students earned six credits while they studied the history and contemporary culture of Greece and Italy. Field trips included excursions to Athens, Delphi, Rome, Florence & Milan
- In 2007, a group of business students and faculty students traveled to China after completing an eight-week pre-travel seminar focusing on the culture and economy of China.
The Study Abroad Program can be a wonderful complement to on-campus opportunities that broaden your knowledge of world business, politics, and cultures such as:
International Breakfast Speaker Series which features presentations by international business executives;
The Arthur and Rebecca Marshall Human Relations and Human Issues Lectures, which feature national and international journalists and religious leaders; and
Lectures sponsored by the Center for International Sport Business.
Students must be in good academic standing to participate in study abroad opportunities. Students participating in year-long or semester-long study abroad programs must satisfy the the specific grade point average required by the foreign university they will be attending. To learn more, contact:
Dr. Josie Brown-Rose, Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and Assistant Director of the Study Abroad Program
Dr. Saeed Ghahramani, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and Director of the Study Abroad Program