Jump to Footer

Graduate Students

International candidates have the opportunity to pursue a graduate degree in our College of Arts and SciencesCollege of Business, or College of Engineering. Professional degrees are offered through our College of Pharmacy and School of Law

When to Apply for Admission

Western New England University has a "rolling" admissions policy, not a set admission deadline, which gives students greater flexibility in applying. Admission decisions are typically released within three weeks of your application being complete. The University urges prospective international students to apply as early as possible in relation to the anticipated start date to ensure sufficient time to process all of the necessary paperwork for purposes of a student visa.  Entry points for each program.

Typical Academic Calendar

Graduate courses are primarily offered during the 11-week term. During the year, four terms are offered for graduate studies - fall (September), winter (January), spring (April), and summer (July). International students typically begin their studies at the start of either the summer or fall terms. For a detailed overview of the Academic Calendar, click here.  In order to maintain eligibility for purposes of a student visa, international students must be enrolled in at least 18 credits over the four terms (6 courses). Visit the School of Law and College of Pharmacy for their Academic Calendars. 

Application Process

Application Process — Graduate International Students

The following items must be received before the Admissions Office will be able to review your application:

  • Official transcripts submitted directly by the institutions or in envelopes sealed by them accompanied by a certified English translation (if not in English). 
  • Evidence of English proficiency. Below are the tests and language schools that we accept/have partnerships with (we only require one of the following):
    • TOEFL - 79 IBT (213 computer based or 550 paper based)
    • IELTS - 6.5
    • PTE Academic - 53
    • EIKEN - 2A
    • iTEP - 5.5
    • International Language Institute of Massachusetts - Level B2
    • ELS - level 112
    • Embassy English - Advanced C1
    • New England School of English - Level 10 with a 2.7 GPA
    • Stafford House - Level 6
    • BridgePathways - Level 5
    • Inlingua - Level 8
    • A.C.E. Language Institutes - Level 6
  • Financial documentation
    • Affidavit of Support
    • Bank letter stating that you or your financial sponsor have sufficient funds to support your education while you are enrolled at Western New England University.  The bank letter should bear the bank's seal on the bank's official stationery. Here is a sample bank letter for your reference.

How to Apply & Requirements - 

The academic requirements and required application materials will vary based on the College and the major to which you are applying. The application for admission will provide further details.

Download an application for admission.

Send all application materials to:
Admissions Office
Western New England University
1215 Wilbraham Road
Springfield, MA 01119-2684

I-20 and Visa Information

I-20 and Visa Information

Upon acceptance to the University, we will issue an I-20 form. The I-20 will be mailed to the student's permanent address as listed on the admissions application. The Admissions Office should be notified if you move or change your address during the enrollment process. For the full I-20 policy click here. You will need the I-20 in order to obtain an F-1 visa. For more information about the visa process, please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs. It is also advised that you utilize the EducationUSA center in your home country.


Western New England University is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges holds many other prestigious accreditations. 


Important Resources


    Connecting You to Our Community

    Our faculty, staff, and fellow students are here to welcome and support you through a variety of programs and activities that will help you become a part of our learning community. They will get to know you by name and help guide you in locating housing, learning your way around campus, and understanding the American culture. The Office of International Student & Scholar Services is an important place to get started.

    International Student & Scholars
  • On Campus Housing

    Learn More

    Our Office of Residence Life is here to assist international graduate students seeking on-campus housing. Learn more about living on-campus.

    Graduate Housing