Every business, small or large, public or private, needs sound financial management to survive. The study of Finance is the art and science of wealth management. Almost every firm, government agency, and corporation has one or more financial managers who prepare financial reports, direct investment activities, and implement cash management strategies. In short, they are the caretakers of cash and assets that are an organization's lifeblood. You can play a role in this important field.
- Our students are prepared to enter the finance profession in a variety of areas, including brokerage firms, insurance, personal financial planning, and corporate finance.
- As a member of the Student Finance Association, you will have the opportunity to participate in numerous networking events with business professionals to build relationships and learn about career opportunities.
- In your junior or senior year, you will have the opportunity to participate in an internship with insurance companies, banks, and other regional businesses.
The curriculum incorporates accounting and economic principles and teaches you both the classical and current theories of financial analysis. Accounting, economics, and finance are integrated. Quantitative techniques and critical thinking skills prepare students to handle the classical—as well as the most current—theories of financial analysis.
Core classes include:
- corporate finance
- financial institutions
- business law
- business information systems
Elective courses specialize in the areas of:
- international finance
- macroeconomics analysis
- personal financial planning
For details about courses and requirements, please consult the catalogue
Our faculty earned degrees from some of the most prestigious institutions in the country.
- Professor William Bosworth earned his MBA at the Stern College of Business at New York University and was a bond arbitrageur on Wall Street. He went on to earn a PhD at the University of Connecticut. His research interests are in corporate governance and executive compensation.
- Professor Sharon Lee earned her DBA from the University of Kentucky and primarily teaches all levels of corporate finance to our Finance majors. Her research interests are in the corporate governance areas of the effectiveness of corporate board directors and valuation effects of regulation.
- Professor Yong Wang, earned an MA in Financial Economics from the University of Maine, and received his PhD from Temple University.
Five-year Bachelor/MBA Degree
Today, more than ever, you will need an advanced degree to compete in our highly competitive global economy. The Western New England University Five-year Bachelor/MBA gives students a marked advantage in the job market while saving on tuition costs.
Internships and other special opportunities
Almost all Finance majors choose to do internships in local institutions, such as Primerica of CitiGroup, Country Bank, Westfield Savings Bank, MassMutual Financial Group, Prudential Bache, Bank of Western Massachusetts, BankNorth, Merrill Lynch, USB|Paine Webber, and Morgan Stanley.
The Student Financial Management Association holds twice-monthly lunch meetings featuring prominent professionals from the field speaking about the industry and employment opportunities. These popular events are excellent networking opportunities.
Finance students are also active in:
As well as varsity and intramural sports, special interest groups, and student government.