Because of increasing international trade and the rapid pace of commercial transactions, the need for accountants is growing and the role they play in the business world is expanding. The accounting education you will receive from the AACSB-International accredited College of Business will provide you with the knowledge and skills to explore the wide range of positions in industrial, public, and institutional accounting. You'll have the opportunity to learn about the field firsthand through internships at major accounting firms and in corporate accounting departments. Students also have opportunities to establish connections with business leaders through our student chapter of Beta Alpha Psi, the national honor society for accounting and finance students.
- Our students are prepared to enter the accounting profession in a variety of areas including audit, taxation, and corporate accounting. Our MSA program enhances this education and enables a student to obtain the necessary background become a CPA in states requiring 150 credit hours of education for licensure.
- As a member of the student Accounting Association, you will have the opportunity to participate in numerous networking events to build relationships with public accounting firms and other regional businesses.
- In your junior or senior year, you will have the opportunity to participate in an internship in the areas of auditing, taxation, or financial reporting.
- With just two additional courses added to your coursework, Accounting majors can double major in Finance. Majoring in both of these in-demand fields will give you unparalleled flexibility when it comes to internship and career opportunities.
The Accounting Curriculum
The Accounting major provides an understanding of such topics as:
- financial reporting
- auditing and attestation services
- accounting information systems
- business law
- cost accounting
- enterprise resource management
- strategic planning
For details about courses and requirements, please consult the Catalogue:
A Gateway to Major Accounting Firms
The Springfield-Hartford region is where you will find the headquarters and branches of some of the largest insurance and accounting firms in the world, including:
- MassMutual Financial Group
- The Hartford
- St. Paul Travelers
This strong regional presence means our students have excellent opportunities for internships and other professional experiences during their undergraduate education, along with excellent potential for job opportunities.
Learn from business professionals who have years of experience and who have earned numerous accolades for their teaching proficiency.
- In 2006, Dr. John Coulter received the Gold Medal Award for earning the highest score on the CPA exam in Massachusetts.
- Dr. May Lo was invited to develop and teach a class on International Accounting Standards at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy; the school is ranked ninth in the Wall Street Journal European MBA Rankings for 2005.
- Dr. Lori Holder-Webb is editor-in-chief of the Journal of Issues in Accounting Education.
Pursue Your CPA
Once you complete your bachelor’s degree, you can choose to head directly into our full-time accelerated Master of Science in Accounting program, which provides you with the 150 credit hours of education required by most states.
More than ever, you will need an advanced degree to compete in this highly competitive field. The Western New England University Five-year Bachelor/MSA gives students a marked advantage in the job market while saving on tuition costs.
Internships, Travel, and Networking Opportunities
Our Accounting students intern at nationally recognized firms such as PwC, The Hartford Group, Cigna, Aetna, United Technologies, KPMG, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, Moriarty and Primack, and ISO New England; regional companies such as Northeast Utilities, and organizations such as the Basketball Hall of Fame and the American Red Cross.
The student Accounting Association meetings feature prominent Accounting professionals who speak about issues and employment opportunities. These popular events are excellent networking opportunities.
Accounting students are active in:
- Sophomore Experience Abroad (SEA) program
Alpha Lambda Delta (First-year honor society)
Alpha Kappa Psi (Professional Business Fraternity)
- Beta Alpha Psi
as well as varsity and intramural sports, special interest groups, and student government.
Check out the blog from this semester's trip.
Fields: Public and private accounting firms, financial companies, and government agencies.
Outlook: The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts an 18 percent increase in accounting positions by 2016. Money Magazine and Salary.com recently named public accounting one of the top 15 jobs in America.
Opportunities: Accounting majors have outstanding opportunities for internships. You will find our graduates working at major public accounting firms such as PwC, KPMG/Peat Marwick, Ernst and Young, Deloitte, and Meyers Brothers Kalicka. They also work for General Electric Company, Hamilton Sundstrand, and the Internal Revenue Service.