The First Year Program - We're Here for You from Day One!
The First Year Program is one of the key distinctions that separate Western New England University from other colleges and universities. This unique program benefits students in two ways: first, it offers a comprehensive yearlong network of support and programming for first year and transfer students as they transition to our University; secondly, it provides upperclass students who serve as mentors in the program with unprecedented opportunities for leadership development. The program is also a valued resource for parents whom we consider partners in helping students make a successful transition to Western New England University.
The First Year Program is committed to student success. Through support, the Program aims to assist students new to Western New England University in establishing a sense of purpose in their academic endeavors, maximizing the college experience.
As you explore this website, I invite your questions and comments. If there is any way that anyone in the Office of First Year Students & Students in Transition can be of further service, please do not hesitate to be in touch - our door is always open.
Kerri P. Jarzabski
Dean of First Year Students & Students in Transition
The First Year Program supports incoming students in the following ways:
- Building student confidence
- Identifying a network of education and emotional support
- Determining specfic goals for academic, physical, and personal accomplishment
- Encouraging involvement and participation in campus life
- Monitoring academic progress and encouraging academic engagement
- Fostering awareness of the value of a college education
- Creating a commitment to community
Our program for first year students doesn't end at Summer Orientation. For us, that's only the beginning!