Jump to Footer


Health Services

Who will be examining and treating me when I am sick?
The health care providers are board certified nurse practitioners, physician assistants, or physician.

What can each health care provider do for me?

  • Prescribe medication
  • Perform a physical examination, make diagnosis, and implement a treatment plan
  • Order blood testing, X-rays, MRI, CT scans etc.
  • Interpret diagnostic testing results
  • Counsel on health maintenance and illness prevention
  • Refer for specialty care

I am sick but only take one class, commute, and don’t have the school health insurance. Can I still be seen?
Yes. We will see any student as long as they are registered for classes.

What is the charge for being seen in Health Services?
There is no charge either directly to the patient or their health insurance for services rendered by any health care provider in Health Services. Students will be charged for laboratory work, prescriptions, x-rays, and specialists.

I need monthly blood tests. Can I have that done here?
Yes. We draw blood here at Health Services and send it out daily to Baystate Reference Laboratory and usually receive results in 24-48 hours. At your request we can then fax or mail them to your health care provider.

Can you prescribe medicine that I take at home?
Yes. All providers in Health Services have full prescriptive authority.

If I become ill at night can I go to Health Services?
No. Health Services is open weekdays but does provide on-call services during the hours when HS is closed. See Provider-On-Call.

Can I get stitches if I cut myself?
Yes. We are all trained in suturing and keep the necessary equipment in Health Services to suture most lacerations. We also perform a variety of small surgical procedures.

Does Health Services provide any methods of birth control like pills or condoms?
Yes, one brand of birth control is available. We have Loloestrin FE for $10/pack. Condoms are available in our reception area free of charge. We can also prescribe Depo-Provera, NuvaRing, or other birth control pills.

Does Health Services provide the "Morning After Pill"?
Yes. Plan B is availabe for $25 after speaking with a provider. We suggest that you visit with us and we can discuss different forms of birth control available, answer any questions you might have to assist you with a method.

I pay $25 for my pills. Can I change to the brand in Health Services?
Yes. Birth control pills are, for most women, interchangeable.

Is it necessary to get a PAP test or pelvic examination to receive a birth control pill?
No, women should not receive a PAP prior to 21 years of age. Birth control pills can be prescribed after a medical history is taken along with a blood pressure check.

Can I get my yearly pelvic examination and “Pap” test in Health Services?
Yes. Pelvic examination, a Pap test (to detect cancer or pre-cancer of the cervix) and sexually transmitted disease testing (if indicated) are all provided but you must make an appointment for this service.

Student Health Insurance

See www.gallagherstudent.com/wne

Student Athletic Insurance

I am on the Western New England University Men’s Lacrosse Team. Should I buy an athletic insurance policy?
No. Western New England University purchases athletic insurance for all the intercollegiate student athletes.

If I am injured will the athletic insurance pay for my medical care?
You are covered for medical care if you are injured during practice or play. The athlete must be at an in-season, coach supervised, intercollegiate athletic event. The policy does not cover intramural athletes.

How do I get the insurance to pay for my athletic injury?
First you must submit all your claims to your private insurance company. Most balances will be paid by the athletic insurance after you complete the claim form (available from Health Services or Athletics) and attach the documentation of denial of benefits. The athletic insurance is the secondary payer and will not pay any claims unless denied by the primary insurer. The claim form must be signed by a coach, trainer, athletic administrator or health care provider (Health Services) verifying that the injury took place during a college sanctioned athletic event.