Jump to Footer

Native Medicinal Garden

History

The term “Pharmacognosy” was first coined by C.A. Seydler in 1815. The term refers to the science or knowledge of drugs or medicines derived from natural sources. The collection of plants for medicinal uses dates back to the ancient Sumerians in 2500 B.C. It is well known that Native Americans provided the only medical remedies for the treatment of various diseases obtained by the early settlers when they came to this country.

Purpose

To promote an understanding of the medicinal uses of native New England plants as it relates to the profession of pharmacy. This medicinal garden will help bridge the past with the future for our pharmacy learners.

Educational program

This program is led by Professor Anthony Zimmermann, Department Chair of Pharmacy Practice and other members of the College of Pharmacy. It was started on August 17, 2011, and is an ongoing project. Learners, faculty, and staff will care for the garden and gain invaluable insight into the growth, development, and potential uses of these medicinal plants.

Native Medicinal Garden

The Native Medicinal Garden is administered by the Department of Pharmacy Practice  It includes over 23 different medicinal plants identified by metal placards, 9 of which are native. The majority are perennial plants. 

The Garden is located between Emerson Hall and the new Center for Sciences and Pharmacy Building. We invite everyone to come by and enjoy the garden.