Forms, Policies, and Procedures
Cash Advance Form and Policy Info
Cash Advances are essentially loans available to faculty and staff for University-related travel or purchasing. Please be sure to use the Request for Advance form, completed fully with proper approvals, submitted to Procurement Services prior to 12:00 noon on the Tuesday of the week that the check is required.
Per policy, the Cash Advance needs to be printed on blue paper, or copies are available at any time in the Procurement Services office.
A Cash Advance should be cleared within 15 days of the completion of the travel, or the purchase, and can be done so by submitting a TME Form complete with invoices/receipts for all transactions.
If the expense is less than the amount taken with the Advance, all excess cash must be submitted along with the TME Form.
If the expense is more than the Advance, the difference will be paid to the traveler/borrower by means of a check processed in the weekly Check Run.
Please refer to the Cash Advance policy for all other instructions and limitations.
Check Request Form and Policy
Check Request forms are used to request issuance of a payment when no invoice is available. Please note that if an invoice is available, a Check Request is not required. An example of a situation when a Check Request might be required is in the event of payment for a service, as a referee used by Athletics, or payment for a performer.
A Check Request should also be used for reimbursement of goods purchased on behalf of the University using personal funds, and for which reimbursement has been agreed upon. For all travel, meal, or entertainment-related expenses please submit those reimbursement requests on a TME Form. An example of this type of purchase could be when supplies are required for an event, and a University employee or student purchases those supplies using their own personal method of payment.
Please be sure to always print out the Check Request form on yellow paper, per University policy, and they are also available in the Procurement Services office.
Hotel Reservation Requests
POLICY FOR USING HOTELS & MAKING RESERVATIONS FOR GUESTS COMING TO WESTERN NEW ENGLAND UNIVERSITY
- Accommodations are for any guest coming to Western New England University on University business, or as a guest of the University only.
- The department responsible for the guest, or acting as hosts of the guest, should first contact the President's Office (x1243) in regards to utilizing the University's guesthouse.
- In the event that use of the guesthouse is not feasible, and hotel accommodations have been recommended and authorized by a department head, chair, or manager, hotel reservations can be made.
- All reservation requests should come through the Procurement Manager in Procurement Services (Dan DiGloria, x1747).
- At no time should a guest or department contact a hotel themselves to make reservations since the special discounted rates offered to Western New England University are not published or on contract, therefore need to be made through specific contacts at the various hotels. This also ensures direct-billing to the University, and not to the guest directly.
- The following information should be provided to Procurement Services via the campus Reservation Request Form:
- Name of guest(s)
- Date of arrival
- # of nights of stay
- Room preference (smoking/non, king or double beds; although most of the larger hotel chains are no longer offering smoking rooms)
- What charges, if any, Western New England University is covering
- The name of the department or University employee requesting the reservation
- This form can then be faxed to Procurement Services (x2020) or emailed directly to the Procurement Manager (email@example.com).
- When the reservations are completed, Procurement Services will contact the requesting department on campus with reservation confirmation numbers and any other relative information.
- The requesting department is required at that point to create a Purchase Order for the reservation with all provided information, as well as an authorizing signature(s) and appropriate account(s) for charges.
- When the invoice is received after the stay it will be sent to the requesting department and should be processed in accordance with standard invoice processing procedures.
Missing Documentation Form
Per University policy, all transactions and expenditures need documentation for payment or reimbursement. Meals at sit-down restaurants actually need two pieces of backup: the itemized slip as well as the credit card receipt. In situations where a receipt or invoice cannot be attained, we have allowed for missing documents for transactions of under $25 to be replaced by the Missing Documentation Form.
This form needs to be filled out completely and submitted along with the payment or reimbursement request (TME form).
This form is also accepted to take the place of a second meal receipt, even over $25, provided that the other receipt is supplied.
Moving Reimbursement Form
This normally pertains only to Faculty and Administrative Staff, but the University will often include moving expense reimbursement included in hiring contracts. Please refer to the Moving Reimbursement Policy below for specifics and guidelines, and the attached form will need to be completed and submitted, complete with appropriate approval signatures, backup, and all required documentation.
Quote-Bid Substitution Policy and Form
Policy on Use of Quote-Bid Subsitution Form (formerly known as the Non-Compliance Form)
Any order of $2000 or over should be accompanied by a minimum of three quotes, and any order of $10,000 or over should have a minimum of three bids or quotes when bids are not feasible. These need to be requested prior to the order being place (Purchase Order), or invoice being paid, and copies attached to said order or invoice.
In cases where it isn't possible or practical to seek quotes or bids according to the above specifications, a Quote-Bid Subsitution Form, designed specifically for this purpose, can be used. This form must be filled out completely, and submitted in place of quotes or bids, attached to the order or invoice being presented. A manager's or department head's signature must be on the form for it to be accepted, as well as an approval signature by Procurement Services.
The Quote-Bid Subsitution Form should only be used as outlined above, and never to be utilized when a department can and should request quotes or bids.
Petty Cash Form & Policy
Any time that a student or employee of the University needs to be reimbursed for an approved purchase of goods only, and that purchase is under $50, a Petty Cash Reimbursement form can be used. The attached document contains two of the Petty Cash forms, actually, so please submit only one form (half the page) for Petty Cash requests.
Once anyone starts looking around on the Procurement page of the University website, one thing that becomes very clear is that we have a lot of policies and procedures governing purchasing, payment requests, campus credit cards, reimbursements, etc. In light of that we put together a condensed Reference Guide that touches on all of the more important points, and allows folks to find answers a little more quickly than going through all of the various policies and procedures one at a time.
Please refer to the attached document, and hopefully most questions can be answered quickly and easily. If further clarification is required, however, please feel free to contact one of the Procurement staff members.
Student Advance Form & Policy
In cases when a Cash Advance is required for a student only, there is a special Student Advance form (attached) that is to be used. Unlike the Advance form that it is used by faculty and staff, the Student Advance form can be printed out on white paper. Please refer to the Student Advance Policy that's located below in regards to guidelines for completing and submitting the form, and when it's use is appropriate.
TME (Travel Reimbursement) Policy and Form
Travel, Meals & Entertainment Expense Reimbursement Policy
- Original receipts are needed for all expenses. In the event a receipt is missing or not received and is under $25, a Missing Documentation form must be attached explaining the expense and reason for the missing receipt with employee's and supervisor's signatures.
- Please be sure to convert all currencies into US dollars.
- Meals on day trips are not reimbursable unless for a "meeting" meal where business is discussed, in which case the names of all those in your party must be on the receipt.
- Both the credit card slip (showing totals) and the itemized receipt are required for all meal reimbursements.
- Western New England University ProCard: Do NOT include any receipts/invoices pertaining to travel using the purchasing card; that info is to be provided on the Accounting Code Detail report separately.
- All requests for expense reimbursements MUST be submitted within 15 days of the date the expense is incurred, or trip is completed.
- Please note that if paying for trip-related expenses out of pocket, reimbursement will only be approved and processed after the trip has been completed, and all appropriate documentation, including boarding passes, are provided.
- To have a reimbursement check held and available for pickup at SAS, please check "Hold Check" and attach an envelope with the name of the person authorized to pick the check up.
- Please be aware of meal per diems, and reimbursements are only allowed up to the accepted amount based on IRS guidelines for that city.
- For driving reimbursements, mileage is reimbursed at current IRS rates only when a personally-owned vehicle is used; gas charges are reimbursed only when a rental car or company-owned vehicle is used.
- For mileage reimbursement an online map (Google Maps, Mapquest, etc.) must be included showing the route traveled and total mileage, and must start at the University address.
- While Western New England University is tax-exempt, and sales tax should never be paid, we are liable for certain taxes, including meals tax, fuel tax, etc.
- Ordering an alcoholic beverage with a meal is allowed (in moderation); however, ordering bulk alcohol is not reimbursable (i.e. purchase of a 6-pack, etc.).
- Please be aware that if a TME Form is incomplete or done incorrectly we will attempt to contact the traveler to make corrections, but may end up returning the form to the department for revisions.
- IMPORTANT: All approved reimbursements that are more than 60 days old will be sent to Payroll for reimbursement, and become taxable income.