Jump to Footer

FAFSA FSA ID and IRS Data Retrieval


The FSA ID has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN. If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create one when logging in to www.fafsa.gov. You can use your FSA ID to sign a FAFSA right away. Once the Social Security Administration verifies your information in one to three days, or if you have linked your PIN to your FSA ID, you will be able to use your FSA ID. Important tips: Only the owner of the FSA ID should create and use the account. Never share your FSA ID. Each FSA ID must have a unique email address. (You and your parent cannot use the same email address.)

FAFSA and IRS Data Retrieval

Students applying for any federal, institutional, or state aid must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. Please make sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA. If filing the FAFSA before completing federal income tax returns, you will need to update the FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) at least 2 weeks after your tax returns are e-filed or 6-8 weeks after your tax returns are paper filed.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:  The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is unavailable for the remainder of the 2017-2018 FAFSA season.  Please order a tax return transcript at irs.gov/transcripts and submit it to SAS.

Student Administrative Services (SAS) can only accept federal tax return information directly from the IRS. We cannot accept copies of individual tax returns. The IRS DRT transfers IRS data directly into the FAFSA. If you are unable to use the IRS DRT, we require a copy of the tax return transcript. 

You are not eligible to use the IRS DRT and must submit the tax return transcript if:

 You filed an amended tax return.
 You filed married filing separately.
 You are married and you filed as head of household.
 Your address on the FASFA is different than the address on your tax return.
 Your current marital status is different than it was on your tax return.
 Parent’s marital status is “unmarried and both parents living together”.
 You still owe money for taxes to the IRS. The IRS data will be available after the balance has been paid.
 You filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return.

IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) instructions:
  1. Go to www.fafsa.gov and click “Login”. Provide the information requested to get into your account.
  2. On the My FAFSA page, click “Make FAFSA Corrections”.
  3. Enter your FSA ID.
  4. Click the “Financial Information” tab on the top.
  5. Select “already completed” for the tax return filing status.
  6. Answer the questions in the pop-up box. If all answers are “No”, you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
  7. Enter information requested and click “Link to IRS,” click “OK”.
  8. Enter information requested (name, address, etc.) and click “submit” (this information must match your federal income tax return).
  9. Check “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA” and click “Transfer Now,” click “OK”.
  10. Answer the questions asking how much was earned in wages, salaries, and tips and click “Next”.
  11. Use IRS Data Retrieval for both parent and student if the student filed taxes.
  12. Continue to the “Sign and Submit” tab and follow instructions to submit the changes.

* Independent students do not need to submit their parent’s information, but should use the above steps for entering their tax information.

* Do not make any adjustments to the tax information once it has been transferred to the FAFSA. If any information is incorrect, please contact SAS. If you have a pension or IRA rollover, submit a copy of the 1099-R to SAS and we will remove the rollover amount from the FAFSA.

Tax Return Transcript instructions:

If you are unable to use the IRS DRT, please submit a copy of the IRS Tax Return Transcript (NOT the income tax return). To obtain an IRS tax return transcript, go online to www.irs.gov, under the Tools heading click ‘Get Transcript of Your Tax Records,” or call 1-800-908-9946. Make sure to order the IRS tax return transcript and not the IRS tax account transcript.

* If your address has changed since you filed your tax return, you may need to complete IRS Form 4506-T to request the tax return transcript.

* If you filed an amended tax return, you will need to submit a copy of the tax return transcript and a signed copy of the 1040X that was filed. 

Victims of Identity Theft

Victims of identity theft are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or to request a Tax Return Transcript until the issue has been resolved. You will need to call the IRS’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit toll-free number at 800-908-4490. The IRS will mail an alternative document unique to identity theft issues known as the TRDBV (Tax Return DataBase View).  Submit the TRDBV to SAS along with a signed and dated statement from the filers that they are victims of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of this.