Jump to Footer

Special Housing Accommodations

Western New England University is committed to providing students who have a documented disability with a safe environment in which to live and study. It is the responsibility of the student to inform the Office of Student Disability Services of the nature of his/her disability and desire to receive a special housing accommodation. There are limited housing spaces available for accommodation. Therefore, housing accommodation requests for the 2016-2017 academic year should be submitted in writing and received by the Office of Student Disability Services by March 4, 2016 (for returning Western New England University students) or by June 1, 2016 (for students new to Western New England University). Any requests that are submitted after the deadline will be reviewed on a space available basis only.

Written documentation from a medical doctor or licensed professional with expertise in the area of diagnosis must accompany your written request for a housing accommodation. To ensure that your documentation is complete, be sure that the following information is included:

  • What is the disability/medical condition?
  • What is the history of the disability/medical condition? How long will it continue?
  • How is the disability/medical condition manifested?
  • What aggravates the problem? What makes it better?
  • What type of housing situation is needed? How will that housing situation specifically alleviate the symptoms?

After your request has been submitted, the Office of Student Disability Services will work directly with you if other information regarding your disability/medical condition is necessary.

Once approved, the Office of Student Disability Services will work directly with the Office of Residence Life in an effort to provide a housing accommodation that is appropriate and reasonable. For more information, please contact the Office of Student Disability Services at 413-782-1258.

Please note that the following commonly heard reasons will generally not be grounds for accommodation:

  • I can’t study around other people.
  • I’m a light sleeper and noise bothers me.
  • I get stressed or have anxiety being around roommates.
  • I suffer from allergies/asthma and would prefer an air-conditioned environment.

Requests stating these reasons, as well as requests to be accommodated with a particular roommate(s), will generally be denied. If your request is denied, the Office of Residence Life staff will assist you in clarifying your housing opportunities and making good choices in the room selection process. For more information regarding general housing, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 413-782-1317.