Information for Students
- Disclose a disability to the Office of Student Disability Services (SDS) in a timely manner when requesting accommodations by phone, email or appointment.
- Provide appropriate, current documentation supporting the disability and the requested accommodation(s).
- Review and understand the attendance policy and attend classes unless illness or emergency prevents them from doing so.
- Meet the academic requirements of their courses and of their majors.
- Discuss with the faculty member how the accommodations are going to be implemented, particularly testing accommodations.
- Inform SDS of barriers to educational opportunities.
- Advise SDS of any accommodation needs.
If there are questions or concerns regarding a student's responsibilities as a registered member of Student Disability Services (SDS), please contact SDS at 413-782-1258.
Communicating with Instructors
While talking with instructors, you should:
- If appropriate, make them aware of your past successes, and suggest how they could enhance your future success
- Discuss classroom accommodations, teaching techniques, and testing procedures that have been most helpful in the past
- If possible, engage instructors in a problem solving process when solutions to the problem are not obvious
- Be on time for scheduled appointments