South Africa Summer 2019
The Fall 2019 Study Abroad Fair will be held on Thursday, October 10, 2019 outside the University Commons from 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
May 17-29, 2019
Experience a life-changing trip!
HIST/CUL 290 - Modern South Africa (3 cr.)
Class meets Monday and Wednesdays from 1:00-1:50 p.m. during the spring semester.
This course will discuss the development of modern South Africa. Students will explore its past with the rise and fall of Apartheid and movement to majority rule. They will also experience South Africa’s many different cultures. The course has a travel requirement of twelve days when students will visit Johannesburg, Pretoria, and Cape Town.
- Open to all students
- No foreign language required
- Fulfills the Cultures, Aesthetics, or History perspectives and an LBC
- Fulfills the CA or HIST requirement for Engineering & Business students
- Fulfills study abroad and international coursework for Global Scholars
Space is limited. You must pre-register with the instructors to enroll in this course. If interested, contact: Dr. Marc Dawson, Chair of the Department of History and Political Science, at 413-782-1703 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start Packing: Here's What You Need to Know
You will experience:
- City Tour of Johannesburg and Cape Town
- Visit Soweto and the Apartheid Museum
- Visit Pretoria (Vooetrekker Monument, Freedom Park, and Union House)
- Spend two nights with game drives in the Black Rhino Reserve and Pilanesburg National Park
- Visit Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope
- Visit Franschhoek in South Africa wine country
- Weather permitting, visit Robben Island and Table Mountain
- Experience a life-changing trip
How can I participate?
Students must be in good academic standing to participate in study abroad opportunities. Students participating in year-long or semester-long study abroad programs must satisfy the specific grade point average required by the foreign university they will be attending.
Want to learn more?
For more information, contact:
Dr. Josie Brown-Rose, Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and Assistant Director of the Study Abroad Program
Dr. Saeed Ghahramani, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and Director of the Study Abroad Program
Got Your Passport? Don’t forget to apply now for your passport to be ready to take advantage of this unique educational/travel opportunity.