Jump to Footer


Do I have to apply and be accepted into a degree program before I can take classes?

Students must complete an application for a degree program or for nondegree study before enrolling in classes. You may request permission to register while your application is pending.

When should I apply?

You may apply anytime during the year. Applications are processed on a "rolling" basis for most programs. Admission decisions are typically released within 2-3 weeks for the graduate programs and within 1-2 weeks for the undergraduate part-time programs.

What do I need to do to apply?

All students must:

  • complete an Application for Admission to the appropriate degree program;
  • submit official transcripts from all institutions attended as an undergraduate or graduate student. Applicants to undergraduate programs must also provide official high school transcripts (or GED).

Our graduate degree programs have additional degree requirements such as recommendations, essays, résumé, and test scores. Each graduate application has its own application checklist.

What if I only want to enroll in a few courses or in a certificate program -- not a degree program?

Complete the application for nondegree study and certificate programs. Nondegree students may enroll in a maximum of 36 credits at the undergraduate level or seven credits at the graduate level. You must submit copies of your academic transcript(s) in order to confirm prerequisites for courses. 

Is an interview required?

No, but we encourage you contact the Admissions Office to discuss your plans. A representative will assist you with the application process. Please call: 413-782-1517 or 800-325-1122 ext.1517; or email study@wne.edu.

How will my application be evaluated?

Each degree program has specific requirements for admission. Your advisor will discuss these requirements with you. Each student is looked at as an individual. Your application will be reviewed based on your academic/professional background. Where required, letters of recommendation, essays, your résumé, and test scores will also be taken into consideration.

How long does the application process take?

Once we receive all of your application materials, your application will be reviewed and considered for a decision in a timely fashion. You will be contacted in writing with your admission decision. Decisions are typically released within 2-3 weeks for the graduate programs and within 1-2 weeks for the undergraduate programs.

Is financial aid available for part-time students?

Yes. You must have completed the application process and been accepted into a degree program and enroll in at least six credits per semester for undergraduate study or three credits for graduate study in order to qualify for federal or University financial aid, including low interest federal loans. You must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Other requirements will be listed in the material you receive from our Student Administrative Services Office: 413-796-2080; email finaid@wne.edu. For students taking only one course per term, private educational loans are available. You can search the web for any lenders or contact the Student Administrative Services Office for additional information.

Where can I pay my bill?

If you are paying by check or credit card, you may make your payment when you register through the appropriate College. If you are paying with cash, please go to Student Administrative Services (SAS) Office, located at the lower level of the D'Amour Library (413-796-2080). SAS is open Mondays through Thursdays 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. and on Fridays 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Please call for summer hours.

Is housing available on campus?

Housing is not available for part-time undergraduate and graduate students. Housing is available for full-time graduate students interested in living on campus. Please contact the Office of Residence Life at 413-782-1317 for additional details.

What kind of parking is available on campus?

Graduate Studies and Adult Learning students should obtain a parking permit sticker from the Department of Public Safety and may only park in designated commuter lots. Parking permits and maps are available at Public Safety. You must also obtain a student ID card from Public Safety; this is required to borrow library books and to enter certain buildings on campus. Public Safety is located on the access road to the Alumni Healthful Living Center and is open 24 hours 7 days a week 413-782-1207.

Are services available for students with learning disabilities?

The Office of Student Disability Services provides support for students with documented disabilities and can be reached at 413-782-1258.

Can part-time students join the Alumni Healthful Living Center?

Yes. The cost is $100 for a semester and $200 for a yearly membership. Please contact Student Administrative Services (413-796-2080) to arrange for membership. Alumni can receive a free membership by contacting the Alumni Relations Office (413) 782-1518.

How long will it take me to complete my degree? How long do I have to complete my degree requirements?

There are many factors that determine how long it will take you to complete your degree program. You can set your own pace depending on the number of classes in which you enroll each semester or term. Some degree programs offer accelerated terms. Your advisor will review your program requirements with you and help you develop your degree completion plan. Undergraduate students who are continuously enrolled, with no interruption of their academic program longer than one semester's absence, are expected to fulfill the requirements of the catalogue current at the time of admission to the University. Graduate students must complete their program as indicated in the University catalogue.

How many courses can I transfer in?

Undergraduate students are normally allowed credit for each course that is equivalent to a corresponding course at Western New England University, provided that the grade earned is a C- or above and the course is at the freshman level or above. Developmental or basic course work is not accepted. Students may transfer a maximum of 70 credits from two-year colleges and up to 90 credits from four-year colleges (including any applicable two-year college credits).

Graduate transfer credits are determined during the admission process. The maximum number of transfer credits that can be granted will depend upon the program.

When do classes begin?

Our undergraduate and graduate programs have several different start dates. Visit the Academic Calendar to access calendars and class schedules.

How do I get my books?

The University Bookstore is located on the first floor of the Campus Center. Normal hours are Mon.-Thurs. 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and Saturdays 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. You can order your textbooks online. You'll need your course and section number; choose "Main Campus" or "Off-Campus" as appropriate.

Does Western New England University give part-time students credit for life experience?

The University has partnered with Charter Oak State College in New Britain, Connecticut, to allow students to receive credit for prior learning through portfolio assessment. A maximum of 30 credits can be obtained in this way. Students must receive prior permission from Western New England University. Credit is also available through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the American Council on Education (ACE), or military education and experience.

Is Western New England University accredited?

To read about Western New England University accreditation visit our accreditations page.