4U Comprehensive Advising
We've Got a Whole Team of Advisors Just for You.
As a first year student at WNE, you will have your own four-person team of advisors to guide you every step of the way. It’s all a part of what we call the 4U Comprehensive Advising Program.
Meet the 4U Comprehensive Advising Team
Your Faculty Advisor
Professor from your major who provides discipline specific advising.
- Assists you in course selection each semester.
- Monitors your academic progress and progression toward degree completion.
- Approves your educational transactions, including schedule adjustments, course withdrawals, waivers, etc.
- Offers you guidance and advice on research, study abroad, and internship opportunities.
- Helps you connect your major to career and graduate school options.
Your University Advisor
Professional who serves as your advisor throughout your four years at WNE.
- Assists you in clarifying academic, life, and career goals.
- Helps you choose a major and/or minor that aligns to academic, life, and career goals.
- Explores options if you are considering changing your major.
- Connects you to appropriate campus resources as needed.
- Assists you with navigating registration software and educational planning tools.
- Provides you support if you are experiencing adjustment challenges or other issues impacting your success as a student.
Your Career Advisor
Professional who provides career exploration, strategy, and guidance.
- Offers you self-assessments and interest guidance to clarify academic, life, and career goals.
- Connects you to career readiness resources and a network of professionals.
- Assists you with identifying and securing internship opportunities for experience and academic credit.
- Helps you develop your career related documents such as résumé, cover letter, and reference list.
- Coaches you on live and remote interviewing techniques and the employment process.
- Advises you on post graduate options including job search and applying to graduate or professional school.
Your Peer Advisor
Highly trained upper class student that will provide you support and guidance.
- Helps you navigate the campus, connect to resources, and find ways to get engaged.
- Works with you to develop a personal success plan (PSP).
- Encourages you to participate in curricular, cocurricular, and extra-curricular activities.
- Assists you with transition and adjustment to college life. Invites you to attend club activities and/or campus events.
- Serves as the liaison to the University Advisor if you are experiencing challenges impacting your success as a student.
How Your Team Supports You
Comprehensive Advising helps you to:
- See the “Big Picture” of how your education, interests, skills, abilities, and values relate to potential careers and the world of work.
- Understand institutional policies, procedures, resources, course sequencing, and program requirements to keep you stay on-track to graduate on time.
- Be aware of how curricular, cocurricular, and extra-curricular opportunities such as internships, research opportunities, campus leadership, or volunteerism can support your career goals.
- Connect to campus resources such as the Career Development Center, Academic Support Services, or Counseling Services.