Jump to Footer

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Clinic


Since 1969, the United States Congress has sponsored the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program by annually appropriating funds to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to oversee the program. The goal is to provide free, high quality, tax return preparation service to underserved populations, including taxpayers over the age of 60 and low-income taxpayers. The IRS reported that last year, across the country, the VITA program had over 84,600 volunteers at more than 11,000 sites assist more than 3.5 million taxpayers.


Western New England University has joined the national VITA program. Our clinic is a teaching clinic. The tax preparers are students who have enrolled in a course to learn about preparing tax returns, providing client service, and helping the community. The students must pass IRS-certification exams before they can meet with clients. A professor who is a CPA and an attorney, with more than 30 years of tax experience, supervises the clinic.


Our clinic does not charge a fee. Below, however, are the requirements to be eligible for our clinic's services. The taxpayer must:

  • Have combined income of $55,000 or less for all members in the household
  • Be a U.S. resident
  • File a state tax return(s) only in Massachusetts and/or Connecticut
  • Not have rental property or business returns


We have limited capacity. Consequently, we have no appointment slots available other than the ones posted below. If you are available during those times, and you satisfy the eligibility requirements, then complete the APPOINTMENT REQUEST FORM to request an appointment. You will later receive an email confirmation after a clinic representative has reviewed your request.


If you have any questions, please do not attempt to contact the Clinic by telephone. Instead, kindly send all inquiries via email to: vita@wne.edu. Do not communicate your Social Security number or other confidential information electronically.

All Appointments are in Churchill Hall 112

Session Day Date Time
1. Thursday February 14 2:05 p.m.
2. Thursday February 14 3:15 p.m.
3. Tuesday February 19 2:05 p.m.
4. Tuesday February 19 3:15 p.m.
5. Thursday February 21 2:05 p.m.
6. Thursday February 21 3:15 p.m.
7. Tuesday February 26 2:05 p.m.
8. Tuesday February 26 3:15 p.m.
9. Thursday February 28 2:05 p.m.
10. Thursday February 28 3:15 p.m.
11. Tuesday March 5 2:05 p.m.
12. Tuesday March 5 3:15 p.m.
13. Thursday March 7 2:05 p.m.
14. Thursday March 7 3:15 p.m.
15. Tuesday March 12 2:05 p.m.
16. Tuesday March 12 3:15 p.m.
17. Thursday March 14 2:05 p.m.
18. Thursday March 14 3:15 p.m.
x. Tuesday March 19

No appointments.

University’s spring recess.

x. Tuesday March 19
x. Thursday March 21
x. Thursday March 21
19. Tuesday March 26 2:05 p.m.
20. Tuesday March 26 3:15 p.m.
21. Thursday March 28 2:05 p.m.
22. Thursday March 28 3:15 p.m.
23. Tuesday April 2 2:05 p.m.
24. Tuesday April 2 3:15 p.m.
25. Thursday April 4 2:05 p.m.
26. Thursday April 4 3:15 p.m.
27. Tuesday April 9 2:05 p.m.
28. Tuesday April 9 3:15 p.m.
29. Thursday April 11 2:05 p.m.
30. Thursday April 11 3:15 p.m.
31. Tuesday April 16 2:05 p.m.

Bring the Following Documents to the VITA Clinic Appointment

Required for Admission to the Clinic

  • Social Security cards for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents*
    • Must be actual cards. No photocopies and no substitutes, e.g. a passport is not a substitute.
    • Alternatively, if applicable, client can bring an official Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter.
  • Government photo ID, e.g. state driver's license

Important Other Items to Bring

  • All supporting tax documentation, including Forms W-2, 1099, 1098, IRS and state correspondence, etc.
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns.
  • Two health insurance forms:
    • Form 1095-B, Health Coverage. Shows minimum essential coverage for federal return.
    • Form MA 1099-HC, Individual Mandate, Massachusetts Health Care Coverage. Shows months of coverage for Massachusetts return.
  • Both spouses must be present to file electronically.
  • Translator: Bring to your appointment a person, perhaps a relative, to translate to English if you need a translator.
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit.

*Do not transmit a Social Security number or other personal information electronically.


Directions to the VITA Site

The location of the clinic is on-campus in Churchill Hall, room 112, which is on the first floor.

  • Designated visitor parking spots.
    • Available in parking lots behind Kevin S. Delbridge Welcome Center. The Welcome Center is at 1215 Wilbraham Road.
  • PVTA bus stops.
    • On Wilbraham Road, also near the campus Welcome Center.


Campus Map

VITA Flyer in English

Download the VITA flyer below.
Download Flyer

VITA Flyer in Spanish

Descarga el folleto.
El folleto