Undergraduate and Graduate Housing Drop-off and Move-in Instructions
Updated July 1, 2020
To enable more social distancing and decrease chances of spreading COVID-19 on Move-in Day in August, Western New England University is introducing early Drop-off Days before actual Move-in Days.
Students are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to make an appointment to come to campus before their assigned Move-in Day, if they can, to quickly drop off their belongings in their residence hall room or apartment. If distance from campus or scheduling makes it impractical to drop belongings off early, students will move everything in on their assigned Move-in Day.
Early drop-off will make Move-in Day safer and less stressful for everyone. During Drop-off Days, first-year students will also have the opportunity to get their WNE ID photo taken, purchase books, apply for parking permits, fill out hiring paperwork if they plan to have a job on campus, and complete other important Orientation tasks before school starts. Masks must be worn on Drop-off and Move-in days.
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT DROP-OFF DAYS SCHEDULES (by appointment only)
New and returning students will use the online THD housing app to choose their one-hour drop-off time from a limited number of daily appointments available in each building/area. Appointments are first-come, first served. They will be posted in THD starting July 10 and must be reserved by July 24.
- First-year students and transfer students will choose a drop-off time August 10-14, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Returning sophomores, juniors, and seniors will choose a drop-off time August 17-21, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Students may not come to campus to drop belongings off unless they have scheduled an appointment. If unable to schedule an appointment, they must wait until their Move-in Day to drop off and move in at the same time.
- Students may be accompanied by four family members on Drop-off Day. Masks must be worn by all visitors.
- Vehicles will enter campus through the Welcome Center Gate on Wilbraham Road and turn left onto Campus Drive after passing Sleith Hall.
- Room keys will be issued curbside behind the Campus Center and must be returned 60 minutes later. Students who fail to return their key will be charged for a lock core change.
Current COVID-19 Testing Policy
COVID-19 testing procedures and frequencies are still under broad discussion by The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and health professionals. The University is carefully evaluating these emerging recommendations each day and will be ready to make a decision to implement widespread testing of all students should it be deemed to be in the best interest of our students. Currently, testing for COVID-19 is available in Health Services and will be performed when a patient presents with symptoms. Health Services will also be equipped with antibody tests. Community members are free to visit Health Services to discuss the appropriateness of either test to their particular circumstance.
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT MOVE-IN DAY SCHEDULES (as assigned by Residence Life)
The Office of Residence Life will assign students their specific move-in day and time. Schedules will be posted online in student THD accounts by July 31. To ensure people are spread out and move-in goes smoothly, students must make every effort to arrive during their scheduled time. Those who arrive outside scheduled hours should expect to stay in a hotel or make other arrangements until the next day.
- First-year students and transfer students will move in on August 26 or 27, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. (as assigned by Residence Life).
- Returning students (sophomores, juniors, and seniors) will move in on August 29 or 30, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. (as assigned by Residence Life).
- To reduce the number of people on campus for Move-in Days, only two family members may accompany the student.
- Family members should leave campus as soon as possible after set-up is complete and saying good-bye.
- Students will not be able to get their key after 4:30 p.m.
Move-in will be Friday, August 21 from 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. for first-year Law, Pharmacy, and OTD students required to attend orientation on August 24. Other returning graduate students in Law, Pharmacy, and OTD will move in August 29 & 30, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., for classes beginning on August 31. No appointment is necessary for graduate student move-in, however, appointments may be scheduled for drop-off similar to returning undergraduate students (see above) August 17-21 through THD. Graduate students on 11-week semesters starting September 28 must contact Residence Life to arrange their move-in date.
EARLY ARRIVAL STUDENTS
Athletes and other students who are approved for early arrival as part of a group will be given instructions by their coaches or group leaders including dates, times, and locations for arrival.
Notice For All
Due to many logistical challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, it is imperative that students and families follow the preceding schedules and expectations. Students who arrive outside the prescribed COVID-19 testing and key distribution/move-in times should expect to make other arrangements and return during scheduled hours. This may necessitate finding a hotel or other accommodations for the night. Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.