Jump to Footer

January Orientation 2020

Six Steps to a Successful Transition

Step 1: Register for Orientation!

The New Student Orientation program on Friday, January 10th is a one day orientation, beginning at approximately 10:00 a.m. and ending at approximately 4:30 p.m. Register here!

Resident Students should arrive on January 10th between 8:30 am–10:00 am to check-in at the Office of Residence Life located on the 2nd floor of the St. Germain Campus Center. Students should arrive at the Center for Sciences and Pharmacy for check-in between 10:00 a.m.–10:30 a.m. for the official orientation program on January 10th.

The Orientation Program will include sessions from various offices such as health services, career development center, academic success center, public safety, office of first year students, and residence life to provide a snapshot of the services we offer to assist you on your transition.

You will also have the opportunity to meet with the Academic Deans of your college as well as have an appointment to go over course registration with a member of the academic success team to ensure you are all set for classes on Monday.

Step 2: Placement Assessments

All first year students are required to complete both an English assessment and a math assessment to allow for appropriate English and math placement. Depending on transfer credits, transfer students may still need to take one or both of these assessments. You must have two English courses and two math courses that are being applied to your degree at Western New England University for you to be exempt from either of these assessments respectively. If you are unsure if you fall under this exception, please contact the Office of First Year Students & Students in Transition at 413-782-1312 to determine if you must complete either of the assessment exams.

Once you have logged into the student portal (Connect2U), look for quick links to both the English and Math exams (located on the left portion of the page under “Navigate Campus”). Click on the appropriate links and proceed when you are prepared to take the exam but avoid the temptation to open an exam just to see what it looks like. If you do, the link on Connect2U will disappear. Please allow yourself adequate time to complete each exam. Both do not need to be completed at the same time or even on the same day. However, once you begin, you need to finish that exam. You cannot stop and resume later as the system will log you out. Both the Math and English exam take about 75 minutes.

Step 3: Register for Spring 2020 Courses

We are aware that your course schedule is of the utmost importance to you. Therefore, as soon as your placement tests, we will initiate the course registration process. Please be advised placement exams take 24 hours to be reviewed so be sure to complete these assessments in a timely manner. During this process, you will have an opportunity to have a discussion about transfer credits, graduation requirements, scheduling concerns, and more. 

We make every effort to ensure the best combination of courses for each individual, paying particular attention to your personal interests.

Please Note: Course registration will be confirmed at New Student Orientation on Friday, January 10th. Every student will have a registration and advising appointment at Orientation to confirm their courses before the first day of classes.

Step 4: Health Record Form

The completed form should arrive no later than January 3, 2020. Only completed forms are accepted, all others will be returned to students and considered as not submitted. Students who have not provided forms will be prohibited access to Kodiak, the online classroom module where syllabi, class assignments, and other pertinent academic information can be accessed. Those failing to submit completed health forms by February 15 will be administratively withdrawn from the University without financial recourse. Health forms are only required by the University Health Service Office once, even if a student changes major or program of study. Please visit Health Services for more information.

Step 5: Housing Application and Questionnaire

New resident students must Complete the Spring 2020 Housing Application through The Housing Director (THD), our online housing system. Once you complete the online application, you will receive an email from THD confirming that your application is complete. Students who complete Spring Housing applications will receive an email from the Office of Residence Life between January 3rd and January 7th with specific information about their housing assignment and roommate information. This is the URL for THD self-service - https://wne.datacenter.adirondacksolutions.com/wne_thdss_prod - and you can login using the same username and password that you use for your WNE email. If you have any trouble accessing THD, you can contact Residence Life at Caitlin.Daley@wne.edu

Step 6: Parking Permits

The parking fee is $110 for commuting students and $200 for resident students per year. Student Parking Permit Applications are available online through the student’s Connect2U page. Log in to your Connect2U account click Campus Services, then Public Safety then, Parking Permit Fill out the secure online parking permit application and submit the form. Your permit will be available to pick up immediately at the Department of Public Safety. Please bring your Student Identification Card and Driver’s License to obtain your permit. Please note: If your car has license plates from outside of Massachusetts, you must also file four copies of the State Non-Resident Student Information Form. (Fill out this form in addition to the Student Parking Application above.

Print four copies and bring them to the Department of Public Safety to obtain your parking permit.