President Johnson's Seafood and Chicken Gumbo
FROM Dr. Robert E. Johnson, President
This is one of my favorite meals to make, and I hope you and your family enjoy it as well!
What You'll Need:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (any oil will work)
- 2 tablespoons of All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can ready to serve fat-free chicken broth with 1/3 less sodium
- 1 ½ cups of sliced fresh okra (about 8 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon dried Cajun seasoning or Cayenne Pepper
- 1 lb. of medium deveined uncooked shrimp
- 3-4 Italian Chicken sausages, sliced (I prefer Whole Foods sausages but any brand/type you like)
- ½ lb. small scallops or any seafood you like
Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. With wire whisk, stir in flour; cook about 5 minutes or until mixture turns medium brown, stirring constantly.
Stir in onions, celery, and bell pepper; cook about 4 to 5 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently.
Add garlic; cook and stir 30 to 60 seconds or until softened. Add tomatoes, broth, okra, chicken sausage, and Cajun seasoning; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; partially cover and cook 25 to 30 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
Add shrimp, scallops, and any other seafood; cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink. If desired serve with hot cooked rice.