Jump to Footer

New Students

If you have already been accepted, please read the International Arrival Guide to answer many of your questions. Additionally, the International Student Checklists below will help you determine what you need to complete before arriving on campus. Select the checklist that is appropriate for your student type:

Degree-Seeking Undergraduate Student
Exchange Undergraduate Student
Graduate Student

Read the information below for more information.

Come back soon for the January Orientation Schedule! See below for new student orientation dates.

Applying to WNE

Students wishing to apply to Western New England University should contact the university's International Admissions office.

If you have been accepted and need to transfer your SEVIS record to Western New England, use this form.

Applying for a Visa

Most foreign visitors are required to obtain a visa before entering the country and all students studying in the United States are required to have a visa.

Students entering the U.S. on an I-20 should view the Visa Application Process for more information. 

Once you are admitted to Western New England University, the Admissions Office will issue you an initial I-20 or DS-2019 to use to apply for a visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate overseas. Visas are usually issued up to 120 days before the program beginning date shown on the I-20 or DS-2019, but you cannot enter the United States more than 30 days before the reporting date.

When you are ready to apply for the visa, you must verify with the local consulate what procedures must be followed because documentation requirements and procedures may vary. In-person interviews are required. More information can be found on the Department of State’s websites here.

Generally, students are required to submit the following documents during their visa interview:

  • Passport valid for travel to the United States - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States.
  • Non-immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160.
  • I-20 or DS-2019--All students, their spouse and minor children--if they intend to reside in the United States with the student--must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS). Each person receives an individual Form I-20 or DS-2019.

For more information, please see Study in the States for more information on applying for a visa.

International Student Orientation

We encourage all of our international students to attend SOAR if you are currently in the U.S. However, we realize this may not be possible so ISSS provides an orientation for all new international students. All international students are required to report to the university before classes begin to attend the International Student Orientation (ISO) and Document Check. ISO gives you essential information that assists in your success as a student at Western New England University. In addition to topics on U.S. culture, U.S. academic culture, a campus tour, a library tour, and social events, etc, we will also have sessions by other offices on campus that will help you in your journey. You also get the opportunity to meet other American students on campus that will serve as Peer Advisors. It is vital that you attend ISO. ISO is generally one week before classes begin.

You must also report to ISSS to comply with Document Check to ensure SEVIS compliance. You must bring your passport/visa and I-20/DS-2019 to Document Check so ISSS can verify everything is in order and your immigration status is not in jeopardy.

Participation in ISO is required. 

  • Undergraduate student orientation will start January 10. Students should arrive no later than January 9. On-campus housing opens on January 9. The full orientation schedule will be posted soon. Please view the schedule here. All new international undergraduate students are expected to attend the University's Orientation on January 11-12. Classes begin January 14.
  • Graduate students should report to ISSS by January 11 and arrange a meeting with the International Student Coordinator. Students should arrive no later than January 11Classes begin January 14.
  • *Students in the College of Pharmacy, School of Law, and at the New England Center for Children must attend their program's orientation. International students should set up an individual appointment with ISSS within 2 weeks of class starting.*

If you are unable to attend orientation, please send up an individual appointment with ISSS within one week of arrival.

Curious about what to pack? See this list to guide you.

Airport Pickup

Airport pickup is available on designated dates, times, and at specific airports. Airport pickup is only possible from Bradley International Airport in Hartford, Connecticut.

ISSS will send out an Arrival Form to determine if we can pick you up from the airport. To take advantage of the university’s airport pickup service, return the form at least 3 weeks in advance of your arrival. Once the form is received, the staff will determine if they can pick you up from the airport.**

**Even if you do not need airport pickup, please complete the form so the university is aware of your arrival date. 

Paying Your Bill

There are a variety of methods available to you to ease paying your bill. The university's preferred method for payments from international bank accounts or credit cards is flywire

Visit Student Administrative Service (SAS) for questions about your bill, payment options, and payment plans. 

Health Forms and Health Insurance

All new undergraduate students are required to complete the university’s health forms and have health insurance that complies with the university's requirements.

Health Insurance

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not consider coverage by insurance carriers outside of the United States or coverage by foreign National Health Service programs as comparable under a qualifying student health insurance programAll Western New England University undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in the university’s health insurance plan and the cost of the plan is applied to the student’s bill.

  • Degree-seeking undergraduate students – if enrolled in over 9 credits, you must have insurance or waive the university’s policy with a comparable policy of your own.
  • Exchange Students
    • Full year students can purchase the university’s insurance or waive the university’s insurance if you have a U.S. based policy that is also comparable to the university's policy.
    • One semester exchange students can purchase a specific university plan intended for one semester students or waive the university’s insurance if you have a U.S. based policy. Your insurance policy must still meet the Department of State health insurance requirements for the J visa.
  • Graduate students – if enrolled in over 6 credits, you must have insurance or waive the university’s policy.

Student Health Insurance Plan Waiver
International students may be eligible to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan only if they have health insurance plans with American-based carriers which meet the Commonwealth of Massachusetts standardsForeign-based policies do not meet Massachusetts standards.

Full year students starting in the Fall term waive their insurance by mid-September or be liable for the full charge. Students starting in the Spring term, must waive their insurance by late January for the charges to be removed. All returning students must waive their insurance each fall.

Massachusetts and Federal law requires all college students to show proof that they have health insurance coverage while they are attending a higher education institution in the Commonwealth. Even students who waive their insurance must show proof of comparable coverage.

U.S. Health Care System

The U.S. health care system is complex and very expensive. International students and scholars (and their dependent family members) must obtain adequate coverage while in the U.S. ISSS recommends that all students, scholars, and dependents have adequate health insurance coverage

Please go here to learn more about the U.S. Health Care system.

This video teaches international students how to prepare for their arrival in the US, how the US healthcare system works and how students should seek medical care appropriately if they become sick or injured.
Please visit www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/explained/ for more information.

Housing On-Campus

  • Undergraduate students are encouraged to live on-campus for your first year so you can get acclimated to the university. Students entering in the Fall, should go through the New Student Housing Selection. Students entering in the Spring, will receive an On-Campus Housing Application.  Costs can be found here.
  • Exchange studentsare required to live on-campus while at the university. You will receive an On-Campus Housing application to list your preferences and Residence Life will do their best to meet your needs. Costs can be found here
  • Graduate students are encouraged to live On-Campus for your first year so you can get acclimated to the university. If interested in living On-Campus, view the steps and cost at Residence Life's Graduate Housing site. 

On-Campus Resources

Western New England University provides a variety of on-campus academic resources to ensure student success. 

Academic Success Center

Math Center

Writing Center

Student Disability Resources

Living in Springfield

Curious about Springfield? Learn more here!