Jump to Footer

Travel and Reentry

COVID-19 Travel

Please visit our COVID website for the International Student Protocol.

Many students and scholars take the opportunity to travel home—or to another country—during their time in the U.S. While you can make plans to depart at any time, you need to make certain that you have the appropriate documentation to return to the U.S. The information below will help you return to the U.S.

Traveling in the U.S.
When traveling within the U.S., it is recommended that you carry copies of your immigration documents or have access to electronic copies of your passport, visa, I-94, I-20/DS-2019, proof of enrollment, and EAD card (if on OPT) even when traveling domestically within the U.S. No signatures are required on the I-20 or DS-2019.

Beginning in October 2020, you will need to use your passport to fly within the U.S. unless you have a REAL ID from Massachusetts. 

IMPORTANT! NEVER re-enter the U.S. on any visa status other than F-1 or J-1 as it will cancel your student/scholar status.

Important Information

  • Returning to the U.S.

    Watch this video for more information about returning to the U.S. after traveling abroad.

If you plan to leave the U.S. to visit another country, all students and scholars must have certain documents in order to return to the U.S. See below for the required documents:

F-1 Students

  • Valid Passport
  • Valid Visa
    • You CANNOT renew a visa in the U.S. but must do so in another country (preferably your home country).
  • A Valid I-20 (F students) or DS-2019 (J students and scholars) with a valid travel signature
    • Travel signatures are valid for 12 months (except for students on OPT: your signature is valid for 6 months)

F-1 Students on Post-completion OPT must also have:

  • Valid EAD
  • Job offer letter or job confirmation letter
  • Remember your I-20 travel signature is valid for only six (6) months

J scholars should also have: 

  • WNE Appointment or Invitation Letter (recommended)
  • Financial Certification (recommended)

For more information, please see the Department of State's Travel and Re-entry FAQs.

Check Your I-94

All students and scholars entering and departing from the U.S. by air have their travel history reported on an electronic I-94.

Students and scholars should check their I-94 EVERY TIME they return to the U.S. to ensure they entered in the correct status as mistakes are occasionally made. 

Check your I-94 here

If you cannot find your I-94 or there is an error on your I-94, please contact ISSS as soon as possible. Having an incorrect I-94 will cause issues when you apply for a Social Security Number, Driver's License, or OPT

F-1 Students on Post-Completion OPT

An F-1 student who has an unexpired EAD issued for Post-Completion OPT and who is otherwise admissible may return to the U.S. to resume employment after a temporary absence. The EAD must be used in combination with an I-20 endorsed for re-entry by ISSS (OPT travel signatures are only valid for 6 months).

  • It is not recommended that you depart the U.S. if you have a Cap-Gap I-20 (expired EAD) as you are at risk of denial at the port-of-entry into the U.S.
  • If you are outside the U.S. and you do not have a job offer at the time of re-entry, it is possible you will not be permitted to re-enter. We strongly recommend that you DO NOT travel without a valid job offer.
  • Re-entering the U.S. using a tourist visa (B-1/B-2 or the "visa waiver program") will forfeit your F-1 status, and automatically cancel your permission to work in the U.S.! 

It is NOT ADVISABLE TO LEAVE THE U.S. with a planned re-entry date that is after your I-20 end date if you have not yet received your EAD. If you depart the U.S. without the EAD, and your pending OPT application is denied within the 60 day grace period, you will NOT be permitted to re-enter in F-1 status any more, and you will forfeit your ability to re-apply for OPT!

Travel Documents

Valid Passport

You must have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months into the future unless your home country has a passport agreement with the U.S. To see a list of countries that have this agreement (as of Nov. 1, 2006) please click here.

If your valid visa stamp is in your expired passport, you will use both your old expired passport and new passport to re-enter the U.S.

Valid Visa

A valid visa in your passport is also required for re-entry (except for certain circumstances). If your visa has expired, you will need to go to a U.S. consulate or embassy ideally in your home country to apply for the new visa stamp. You may not renew your visa within the U.S.

If your valid visa is in your expired passport, you will use both your old expired passport and new passport to re-enter the U.S.

NOTE: If your visa expires while you are still in the U.S., this is OK! You can remain in the U.S. on an expired visa as long as you maintain your status. Once you leave the country, you will need a valid visa to return.

A Valid I-20 (F students) or DS-2019 (J students and scholars) with a valid travel signature

A valid travel signature on the I-20 or DS-2019 is required for re-entry for F or J students and scholars.

Travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean

For a visit of less than 30 days to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean (except Cuba), you are allowed to re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa. This process is known as “Automatic Visa Revalidation.” Inform ISSS if you plan to use Automatic Visa Revalidation to ensure your paperwork is correct. You will need your:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • Signed I-20 or DS-2019

Please note if you apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa in Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean and are denied, you will not be able to return to the U.S. using Automatic Revalidation.

***Note: Check with the specific country's embassy website to see if you are required to have a tourist visa in order to visit the country you are visiting***

Nationals of Cuba, Iran, Sudan, and Syria are not eligible for automatic revalidation of an expired visa.