Western New England University and John J. Duggan Academy Sign Partnership Agreement
Western New England University and John J. Duggan Academy have formalized their unique partnership with a three-year agreement that bridges public secondary education and private higher education.
With Western New England University as their neighbor, students at John J. Duggan Academy (grades 6-12), an Expeditionary Learning Magnet School with a Social Justice Theme, find inspiration for a successful future right next door.
What began as ad hoc collaborations spanning a Robotics summer camp to a Mock Trial club run by law students, the book donation program created by a University intern to bolster classroom libraries, to a student-produced anti-bullying video, the partnership has blossomed and Duggan’s students have flourished. In 2017, Duggan Academy received the "Magnet Schools of Distinction" award, the second highest merit award given by Magnet Schools of America.
With the signing of this three-year partnership agreement (2021-2024) these institutions will continue to help students see the continuum that can take them from Duggan to college and beyond.
To-date the collaborations have included the following initiatives:
- The Center for Civic Engagement’s Cub Connections program provided free after school tutoring to Duggan students.
- Western New England University students from the Department of Education interned at Duggan.
- The School of Law Pro Bono Program coached Duggan students in a mock trial presented before District Court Judge Mark Mastroianni.
- Robotics Summer Camp was held in conjunction with the College of Engineering.
- The Western New England University Department of Athletics held Tennis, Volleyball, Football, and Swimming Clinics for students at Duggan Academy.
- Marketing students in the University’s College of Business developed a marketing plan for Duggan Academy as they transitioned from a middle school to a combined middle and high school, broadening the public awareness and perceptions of the school’s recent successes.
- Civil Engineering students enhanced 7th grade science learning at Duggan with a presentation on Fluid Dynamics.
- Western New England University sponsored Duggan Academy in the Links to Library Classroom Book program. Duggan was the recipient of hundreds of books, supporting the school’s goal to improve literacy across all content areas.
- University faculty and staff board members at Duggan Academy provided input to the Monitoring Site Visit (MSV) State focus group evaluation.
- Letters of support were written on behalf of Duggan Academy in their request for Magnet Schools Assistance Grant Program funding.
- Project ACE (Acceptance, Compassion, and Empathy) students at Western New England University created a video that was shared with Duggan Academy students in support of their anti-bullying initiative.