Mission, Vision & Values
The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (COPHS) advances the mission of Western New England University (WNE) through its commitment to the development and support of professional education programs in health care related fields. The College’s comprehensive, learner-centered professional programs prepare entry-level practitioners to provide discipline-specific health care to diverse patient/client populations in a variety of practice environments, as part of an interprofessional team. Through the professional curricula, the graduate programs foster critical thinking, embrace professionalism, and instill a commitment to lifelong learning, community service, and leadership. The College enhances the knowledge base of its learners, faculty, practitioners, and alumni through teaching, service, research, and scholarly activity.
Vision and Values
The Western New England University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences endorses the vision of shaping new models of excellence in interprofessional practice, preparation of practitioners to be leaders, educators, and change-agents for improvements in population health settings and individual patient/client care in diverse environments. The College upholds the following set of core values:
- Personal and professional development through lifelong learning. Our programs create an environment for faculty, learners, and practitioners to learn, maintain, and expand their knowledge, skills, and attitudes in order to meet the healthcare needs of the patients/clients they serve.
- A learner-centered approach to education. Our educational programs are focused on our learners who are primarily responsible for attaining their own educational outcomes; faculty and staff help guide and facilitate the learning process in partnership with learners.
- Teamwork and collaboration. Achievement and success result from the contributions of all team members (learners, faculty, staff, patients/clients, practitioners, and other healthcare professionals). Interprofessional teamwork and collaboration are essential in creating optimal care outcomes for patients/clients.
- Professionalism. We believe professionalism is defined by the principles of excellence, humanism, accountability, and altruism.
- The belief that the provision of care is a privilege that requires engendering the trust of patients/clients and other healthcare professionals.
- An open learning environment – defined as informed discussions for the betterment of the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences for our community of learners (faculty, staff, students, and practitioners).
- The pursuit of new knowledge. We are committed to the advancement of disciplinary knowledge and the research and scholarship of our community of learners.
- Innovation and forward thinking. Our commitment is to prepare learners for practice, using practice models of today and innovative models destined to be those of the future.
- Service, advocacy, and leadership. Our commitment is to serve the community (local and global) both as citizens and healthcare professionals.