Jump to Footer


What size are the mattresses?

The traditional corridor-style halls (Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, and Windham) which accommodate first year students, Commonwealth Hall, Plymouth Complex, Evergreen Village, Southwood Hall and LaRiviere Living and Learning Center have twin extra long mattresses in student rooms. Gateway Village has twin regular mattresses the student rooms. Pillows and linens are not provided, however, you may purchase linens from the Residence Hall Association here.

Can room furniture be rearranged?

YES. Furniture is free standing and can be modified in a number of ways - such as loft-style, where the desk and dresser are situated below an elevated bed frame and mattress, or with the bed near to the floor, traditional style. Tools such as a screwdriver and adjustable wrench may be required if parts are involved. In whatever manner a room is set up for student use; all University owned furniture and personal belongings must be kept there. Storage space is not available during the academic year. Students will be billed for any missing or damaged parts, so care should be taken when rearranging or modifying the design or set-up of room furniture.

Do I need to buy curtains and/or carpeting?

No. Bedrooms in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, Commonwealth and Southwood have window shades. Windham, LaRiviere and Evergreen have curtains.  Gateway bedrooms have frosted/privacy windows. Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, LaRiviere and Gateway have tile floors in the bedrooms.  Comonwealth and Evergreen bedrooms are carpeted.  Students may bring area rugs if they wish.  Students may not install curtains except in Gateway bedrooms using fire resistant curtains.

Are any pets allowed?

Fish, in a reasonably sized aquarium, are the only type of pet allowed. Residence Life staff reserve the right to determine what constitutes a "too big" aquarium.

What about personal computers?

All of our residence hall rooms provide both hard wired and wireless internet access.

Are students allowed to bring furniture?

We provide ample furniture, so students should think carefully about bringing any additional items, and should definitely communicate with their roommate before doing so. Personal furniture  may be added on a limited basis.  In all housing areas except Gateway Village, the student is permitted to bring single-seat supplemental items which meet the standard of California Technical Bulletin 117 (CAL 117).  In Gateway Village, single-seat personal furniture must meet the standard of California Technical Bulletin 133 (CAL 133).  The University reserves the right to limit the amount and size of supplemental seating students may bring into the room or apartment.  Halogen lamps and air conditioners are not allowed in student housing. Note that fines may be implemented for the presence and/or use of prohibited items. These may be billed to a specific individual, or may be billed to both roommates (regardless of who owns the prohibited commodity) as a collective responsibility in shared living space. Detailed information is in the Resident Student Housing Agreement.

Are residence halls air conditioned?

All main campus residence halls are centrally airconditioned.  All Gateway apartments will have air conditioning units in living rooms starting fall 2019.

Can I dispose of my electronics on campus?

As part of the University’s commitment to sustainability, we ask that you not dispose of electronics, or anything with a power cord, on campus. Electronic devices (most notably televisions) contain hazardous materials. We ask that you take your electronic devices home with you. If you are planning to dispose of these devices, your home town most likely has a recycling program for such materials. 

Students who leave electronic devices behind will be subject to cleaning and disposal fees, as you would be with any trash or items left behind after you check-out. Additionally, if electronic items are found in a dumpster, and the student(s) responsible can be identified, that student or students will also be subject to fines for disposal. 

Please help us maintain our commitment to sustainability, and thank you for your cooperation.

Are Students Required to Live On Campus?

Because the value of the Western New England University educational experience is found not only inside the classroom but also in the broader campus community, Western New England University requires all first-time, full-time undergraduate students to live on campus for their first and second years at the University. This policy is effective fall 2019 and does not impact students who enrolled prior to fall 2019.  For more information about this policy, visit our Living on Campus page and review the Residency Requirement.

Community Policies


Is Smoking Allowed in Student Housing?

We have a smoke free policy in all residence areas.  Smoking is not allowed in all public/commonly shared space as well as individual student rooms, suites, apartments, and townhouses.  Smoking is also not permitted within 25 feet of all University buildings.  We cannot guarantee, however, that any resident (as a roommate, suitemate, etc.) will be a non-smoker, only that smoking is prohibited within the living environment.  The same policy applies to e-cigarettes and vaping.


There are no curfews in student housing.  Residents have around-the-clock access to their assigned building through their student ID card and are fully responsible for anyone visiting them.  There are also no pre-determined time limits for visiting in student housing.  However, visitors should not interfere with a resident’s right to reasonable privacy and legitimate use of their living space.  Students should discuss guest policies with their roommate(s) once they’ve moved in.


A resident (host) may have a visitor spend the night, with the knowledge and consent of the roommate.  Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests, who must abide by all University policies. In addition, the presence of a guest should not inconvenience the roommate.  Students should think carefully about who they invite to visit, and monitor visitors’ actions carefully.  The University also reserves the right to require a guest to depart at any point in time.


Students of legal age may consume alcohol (responsibly) if assigned to Southwood Hall, Evergreen Village or Gateway Village, which are of-age residence areas. Students who choose to drink in an underage residence facility or public area of the campus should be prepared to be held accountable.  Illegal substances are obviously prohibited and prescription medication must only be used as directed. While taking an educational approach, dependent on the circumstances, drug-related behavior (possession, use, sharing/distribution) is taken seriously within the University judicial process. 

Will parents/guardians be notified if their student is held accountable for a policy violation?

If University records indicate that a student is a dependent, or if authorization has been given by the student to share information, we may communicate with parents/guardians.  If misconduct is such that the outcome is censure, disciplinary probation, or removal from housing, we will send parents/guardians a copy of the decision letter addressed to the student (with a courtesy cover letter of explanation.)  This approach is intended to give the student time to communicate with parents/guardians first. The decision letter also explains the appeal process. If a parent/guardian would like additional clarification after they have discussed the matter with the student, they may contact the individual who rendered the decision.  We know this is a stressful experience and we do our best to ensure conversations are meaningful and productive. 


What do I do if I lose my key?

If you lose your key, all you have to do is log in to the work order system in Connect2U and click on Facilities. When the new work order opens, select Locksmith in the “Request Type” menu and then you’ll be able to complete the work order and submit it. The work order will then be sent to the Locksmiths who will respond to it in a timely manner (they are in the office Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.). This process should be used for any non-emergency lost key.

If your key is stolen, that would qualify as an emergency and should be reported directly to Campus Police immediately so that they can take your report and change your lock. Please be advised that a lost key will cost you $100, so please be sure that your key is lost before you submit your work order. If you find your key after your lock has already been changed, it will be too late and you will still be responsible for the $100 charge.

Is there housekeeping in student rooms or bathrooms?

The condition of a room is the full responsibility of the occupants, in terms of cleanliness and care of University property. The community bathrooms in the traditional residence areas are cleaned regularly by University personnel, as are corridors and lounges. However, misuse of public space (littering, for example) will either be corrected through an "on-the-spot floor program" with residents, who rightfully have collective responsibility for the living space they share, or charged to students if the services of housekeeping personnel are required to rectify the situation. Gateway, Evergreen and Southwood residents are fully responsible for the care and upkeep of their living spaces. LaRiviere and Plymouth residents are also responsible for the care and upkeep of their living spaces, although LaRiviere common areas and bathrooms are cleaned periodically and shower curtains are provided.

Are microwaves allowed?

For students assigned to Berkshire, Commonwealth, Franklin, Hampden and Windham halls, the University provides a combined microwave-refrigerator unit (one per room.)  Suites in LaRiviere Center are provided with a microwave in the common area of the suite. Students residing in traditional or suite-style residence areas are NOT permitted to bring their own microwave to campus. This is for safety concerns and power usage in student housing.

Gateway and Evergreen Villages, as well as Southwood Hall provide complete apartments for independent student living. Therefore students residing in one of these three areas may bring a microwave for use in their kitchen.

What's the limit (size) for a refrigerator?

Only compact refrigerators are allowed in student rooms. The size should not exceed 3.5 cubic feet. This is based on electrical usage and space considerations. In rooms where we provide a microwave-refrigerator unit, only one student owned refrigerator may be brought to campus. Roommates should discuss this matter, so as to avoid bringing a refrigerator that will need to make a return trip home on opening weekend.

Do I need to sign up for a meal plan?

New residents in traditional housing are automatically registered as a participant in the University's full meal plan: All Access to the Dining Hall 7 Days a week.  There are no alternative meal plans for first year students in the traditional halls - but there are many food choices offered at each meal.  Sophomore and upperclass students in LaRiviere and Commonwealth can also choose the 5 Day All Access Meal Plan. Meal plan participation becomes optional only when a student is assigned to an apartment or townhouse in Gateway, Evergreen or Southwood, where each unit has a complete kitchen. However students may purchase Bear Bucks to supplement (not replace) the meal plan. Bear Bucks can be purchased at the bank window in Enrollment Services or the Dining Services (Aramark) office in the University Commons.  

Students residing in Gateway, Evergreen and Southwood have several meal plan options. Please see the Meal Plans section under Living on Campus for further information.

Where do I buy additional Declining Balance Points?

DB Points can be purchased from the Student Administrative Services offices.  Then, bring your receipt and your ID card to the dining office.

Can I use my points off Campus?

Yes, you can use your DB Points to order from Dominos.

  • Sun - Thurs:   5:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.
  • Fri - Sat:        5:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.

What if I lose my Dining/I.D. card?

Lost cards must be reported immediately to Public Safety. You can obtain a replacement card at Public Safety, Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., phone number 413-782-1207

What if my dining question was not answered here?

For any other questions or concerns you may have concerning meal plans or food services, please call the Director of Dining Services at: 413-796-2014

What if I have a problem with a hall vending machine?

Click here for helpful information if you've had a problem with a vending machine in the residence halls.

Can I arrive before opening weekend?

Unless a student is invited to campus for a specific purpose (such as athletics, band, the “Bear Tracks” program, etc), students are expected to arrive on their scheduled dates (August 24th for new students, August 25th and 26th for returning students).  Legitimate early arrivals will be issued a key to their actual housing assignment at the designated arrival time.  Meals for early arrivals are arranged for and provided by the group the student is arriving early with.


Are Exchange Students Required to Live on Campus?

Yes, if you are going to be an exchange student at Western New England University for a semester or a year, you are required to live on campus.