Jump to Footer

Temporary Need for Accommodation

The Office of Student Disability Services recognizes that individuals with temporarily disabling conditions that are a result of injuries, surgery or short-term medical conditions may need access to services and resources similar to individuals with permanent disabilities. Examples of temporary disabilities may include, but are not limited to: broken limbs, hand injuries, or short term impairments following surgery or medical treatments.

Temporary medical conditions that occur during the school year may adversely affect a student's ability to fully participate in class and student life. Below are strategies and resources that may be beneficial for someone who requires temporary accommodations.

Documentation Requirements

To receive accommodations on a temporary basis, the student must submit a registration form, which you can complete online and email to the SDS office (email either Jennifer Brazenall at jennifer.brazenall@wne.edu or Lorri Comeau at lorri.comeau@wne.edu) or you can print the form, complete it and bring it into our office.

The student must also submit appropriate documentation to Student Disability Services indicating the type of condition, severity, limitations, prognosis, and estimated duration of the disabling condition. It is also helpful to know any adverse side effects caused by medication and recommendations for accommodations. The documentation should be recent enough to identify current limitations. Additional documentation may be requested to verify the need for continued services after the estimated duration of the condition has expired.

Once documentation has been received and approved, the student will meet with the Assistant Dean or the Associate Director to determine appropriate accommodations and to discuss the accommodation process.

In situations where services are needed immediately but documentation may not yet be available, SDS will make every effort to work with the student to provide accommodations.

Potential Accommodations for Temporary Conditions

Academic accommodations are approved on a case by case basis. Examples of accommodations which may be available for a temporary arm, hand, or upper extremity injury may include:

  • Note taking assistance
  • Audio recorder for lectures
  • Extended testing time
  • Computer for essay exams
  • Assistive technology
  • Moving classes to accessible locations
  • Temporary parking pass
    students with Temporary Needs May Want to Discuss:
  • Potential classroom and testing accommodations
  • Information on accessible routes and elevator access on campus
  • Information on how to apply for a temporary parking pass
  • Medical supply resources in the area
General tips for students with temporary conditions:
  • Students can ask fellow classmates to take notes or obtain copies of notes.
  • Students can ask the instructor and/or Teaching Assistant for suggestions regarding note-taking and testing.
  • If writing is significantly impaired to the point where it affects out-of-class assignments, the use of such a speech-to-text software program (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) may be helpful.
  • Students needing information regarding a change in their course load should contact their academic advisors and their instructors for guidance on dropping classes and for options regarding continuing and completing course work.
  • Students experiencing temporary impairments due to minor surgery or temporary medical conditions are advised to consult with their individual instructors regarding possible adjustments to their coursework.
  • If students need extended time to take exams and their instructors are willing to allow extra time but not able to provide space to do so, they may work with Student Disability Services to take exams in the testing center.
Getting around campus with a temporary mobility impairment

Students who are utilizing mobility aids such as electric scooters, wheelchairs, canes, guide dogs or crutches are advised to research the most accessible route to get to and from class. Wheelchairs, scooters and other mobility devices are considered personal devices and are not provided for loan by Student Disability Services.

Student Disability Services does not provide personal assistance to students with temporary disabilities such as building-to-building transportation or the transport of books or other personal items.