Study Abroad in Sorrento, Italy
June 11-July 2, 2022
Are you interested in…
Studying in Europe and fulfilling 6 credits toward your degree at WNE?
Then consider joining us for Study Abroad at the Sant’Anna Institute in Sorrento, Italy!
This is the fifth trip to Sorrento, along the world-famous Amalfi Coast. The WNE faculty-led program fills up quickly. If you are interested, make a down payment of $1,000 to hold your seat. All down payments (applied to overall cost of trip, which is due May 1, 2022) are due by November 1, 2021. Enrollment is based on first come-first served, with other considerations, including possible interviews, academic record, leadership/service on campus, and disciplinary incident reports. All majors are welcome.
During the spring semester (traditionally Wednesdays 5:00–6:00 p.m.) we meet to prepare you for the courses and travel.
We hope to see you in Italy!
PLEASE NOTE: Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required both for international travel and entrance to Sant'Anna Institute.
Italian Culture Course
This course will examine the culture of Italy in a summer program in Sorrento, Southern Italy. Through academic and first-hand field experiences, students will search out the values and characteristics perhaps unique to the Italians, make comparisons and contrasts with their own culture, and thereby increase their own intercultural competency. Learning will involve class discussions, lectures, and a final research project. More specifically, field experiences will help students gain an understanding and personal appreciation for the diversity of the Italian culture; the final research project will be a reflection paper pointing out how their own culture compares with the Italian one.
COMM 340: Business Communication
This course focuses on the importance of all communication in the workplace. Students will assess their own career goals, strengths, and weaknesses by exploring principles of effective professional communication with assignments on business style writing and by delivering presentations. This section of BUS COMM has emphasis on cultural communication with this travel component to Italy.
Start Packing: Here’s What You Need To Know
What will the trip cost?
The estimated cost is $5,900.
- Two courses/six credits
- Airline tickets
- Transfer transportation from/to Naples Airport & Sorrento, as well as transportation to amazing places like the Caserta Royal Palace, Pompeii Ruins, and Villa Rufolo, with private guided tours and tastings at small businesses for gelato, coffee, olive oil, and cheeses as well as an authentic Italian cooking class!
- Welcome lunch and farewell dinner, as well as two meals a day for three weeks (breakfast and dinner at Sorrento restaurants).
- Apartment or dorm housing for three weeks in Sorrento in double or triple rooms with fully equipped kitchen, bathroom, washing machine, wifi, air conditioning, bedding and towels, and weekly cleaning. Walking distance to school and Sorrento City Tax.
- Spectacular site visits to: Naples (first trip-jetfoil, second-private bus) Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Capri
- All administration fees for WNE and SAI
What will I see in Italy?
Excursions in Sorrento include:
- Amalfi Coast
- Naples and Sorrento
- Olive Oil Factory tour
- Gelato Laboratory
- Pompeii ruins
- Villa Rufolo
- Caserta Royal Palace
- Italian Cooking class
How can I participate?
Students must be in good academic standing to participate in study abroad opportunities. Students participating in year-long or semester-long study abroad programs must satisfy the specific grade point average required by the foreign university they will be attending.
Want to Learn More?
For more information, contact:
Dr. Josie Brown, Interim Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and Director of the Study Abroad Program
Got Your Passport? Don’t forget to apply now for your passport to be ready to take advantage of this unique educational/travel opportunity.