It’s a big weekend for Golden Bears—thousands will descend on campus for Commencement ceremonies on Saturday and Sunday to celebrate our graduates. With near-record temperatures expected this weekend, please plan accordingly.
Keep the Weather in Mind
Saturday, May 21 is calling for a high of 97 degrees. A few things to consider:
- Even though Saturday’s ceremony is indoors beginning at 2:00 p.m., heat and humidity will be factors during the day as people traverse campus. The Caprio Alumni Healthful Living Center (CAHLC) is air-conditioned, however, with the number of attendees present, prepare for a warm indoor experience.
- Stay hydrated. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink water, and wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothes.
- WNE will provide complimentary water at a hydration station outside the CAHLC.
- Complimentary water will be available for graduates, faculty, WNE employees, and the platform party in the multipurpose room and robing room.
- Guests may purchase bottled water and other beverages at the indoor and outdoor concession locations.
Golden Bear Stadium Viewing Experience
To accommodate the number of guests who wish to come and cheer on their graduates, we are offering an additional outdoor viewing experience at Golden Bear Stadium.
- WNE will provide complimentary water at the Golden Bear Stadium hydration station.
- A shaded cooling station will also be available at the stadium.
- All Golden Bear Stadium guests are asked to use the stadium seating and avoid the turf field, which will be extremely hot to the touch.
- View a suggested list of items to bring.
As temperatures rise, so does the possibility for heat-related illnesses. First-aid stations, staffed by WNE Health Services, will be located inside CAHLC and outside at Golden Bear Stadium.
In the event of an emergency, ambulance and medical professionals will be onsite both days.
The ceremonies will be streamed live on wne.edu/commencement for the benefit of friends and relatives who are unable to attend.
New for 2022!
Golden Bear Stadium
To accommodate the number of guests who wish to come and cheer on their graduates, we are offering an additional outdoor viewing experience at Golden Bear Stadium! While tickets are not required, for planning purposes, we kindly ask that you RSVP.
When is Commencement 2022?
Undergraduate Commencement will be held on Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
Graduate Commencement will be held on Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
How is Commencement happening?
This year’s Commencement will be held in-person at the Anthony S. Caprio Alumni Healthful Living Center.
How many tickets will I receive for guests?
Undergraduate students will receive four tickets each and graduate/professional students will receive ten tickets each.
Is there still time for me to get my cap and gown?
Yes! More information about how to get your cap and gown will be provided in March.
What should I wear under my gown for my walk across the stage?
There are not any rules about attire, but we hope you will consider wearing something appropriate for the occasion.
What dining options will be open during the weekend?
The Food Court Market (P.O.D.), including Grill Works, in the University Commons will be open 8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. both Saturday, May 21 and Sunday, May 22.