Department of Biomedical Engineering
About the Department
From the development of artificial organs to medical imaging systems, biomedical engineers are on the forefront of medical breakthroughs that improve the quality of life from millions of people worldwide. Our students are prepared to take on such challenges through a rigorous curriculum, experiential learning opportunities through internships and Senior Design Projects, and study abroad opportunities.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering oversees:
Students may also pursue
- A 3+3 Engineering + Law School program.
- A Five-year Masters in Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences program.
- A Five-year Masters in Engineering Management program.
- A Five-year MBA program
Mission and Defining Characteristics
The mission of the Biomedical Engineering major is to provide students with a supportive environment that facilitates learning to solve engineering problems related to medicine and biology in an ethically responsible manner.
The Biomedical Engineering major is committed to excellence in student learning. Graduates of the major will be problem solvers, able to apply engineering principles to the interface between living and non-living systems. The faculty and staff of the Biomedical Engineering major use their diverse background in teaching, research, and industry to prepare students to be successful engineers as they move into the workforce, graduate school or professional school.
The Biomedical Engineering major:
- provides students opportunities to learn and apply core engineering principles to solve problems related to medicine or biology, emphasizing the need for interdisciplinary approaches;
- gives students many opportunities to apply theory with practice-oriented laboratory, industrial, or clinical experiences;
- produces engineers who can communicate well at all levels within an organization;
- promotes biomedical engineering as a career choice; and
- serves both the biomedical engineering community and society.
Program leading to BS in Biomedical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.