Jump to Footer

Financial Aid FAQ

What is Western New England's Federal School Code?

Western New England's School Code is 002226.

How do I apply for merit scholarships at Western New England University?

There are no special applications to complete. The Admissions Office will review your credentials and determine your eligibility for merit aid when they review you for admission. See Merit Scholarships for more information on freshman and transfer students merit scholarships.

I am an incoming freshman and the financial aid package I received from Western New England University is less than I received at another school. Why?

It is common for students to receive differing packages at different schools. Each institution has its own awarding criteria that may treat students differently, especially when it comes to awarding institutional funds.

I received a merit scholarship at another school. Will Western New England University match it?

Most institutions, including Western New England University do not match another school’s financial aid award. Western New England University has its own unique selection criteria for scholarships.

If I don't receive a merit scholarship at Western New England University my first year, can I receive one another year if I do well academically?

Merit scholarships are awarded to incoming freshman and transfer students and are renewed each year the required academic criteria are met. There are no merit scholarships available for upperclassmen who did not receive one as an incoming student.

Will Western New England University meet 100% of my need according to the FAFSA?

The financial aid office has a limited amount of resources to distribute as equitably as possible to our financial aid applicants. We meet a percentage of a student’s need with grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study. Most families supplement their award with resources such as Plus loans, alternative loans, or payment plans.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes. Financial aid is not automatic and must be reapplied for each year. The FAFSA is due by the priority deadline of March 1 for returning students.

Does Western New England University require tax returns as part of the financial aid application process?

No. However, please make sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA. If unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, please see the IRS Data Retrieval and Tax Return Transcripts link on our website for instructions.

My parents are divorced (or separated) and I live with my mother. Whose information should I use on the FAFSA?

Provide only the financial information for the parent with whom you lived with the most in the last 12 months. If that parent is remarried, we also require your stepparent’s information.

What does it mean that I have been selected for verification?

Each year, the Department of Education selects certain FAFSA filers to be verified. Before financial aid can be disbursed, the Verification Form must be completed and returned. In this process, we will be comparing information from your FAFSA and with the information provided on the Verification Form and other requested documentation.

When should I apply for a Plus or Alternative Loan?

A month or two before the bill is due is a good time to decide which loan is right for you. Remember that your lender will divide the amount borrowed into 2 equal disbursements, one for fall, and one for spring. It is important to borrow enough to cover the entire year.

How much should I borrow on my Plus or Alternative Loans to cover my balance?

Where can I find information on external scholarships?

Go to External Scholarships to see a list of online sites that can help answer financing questions and provide information about obtaining scholarships beyond what you receive from the University

May I keep my financial aid if I am accepted into the study abroad program for a semester?

Yes. Generally, your financial aid will remain the same for the study abroad semester as long as the program is through the Study Abroad Program at Western New England University.

I am an international student. Am I eligible for financial aid?

International students who are not U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens cannot receive federal grants or loans. Only private student loans are available for the international student, and you must use a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen as a cosigner on the loan. International students are eligible for the same merit scholarships as domestic students. See Merit Scholarships