Jump to Footer


The Office for Finance and Administration is responsible for determining which risks inherent in the University's operations are best managed by transferring to other responsible parties. This is generally done through the purchase of insurance policies from well-established and well-managed insurance companies.

The University does annual audits of our insurance needs and existing insurance programs to assure that the University's maintains optimum, cost-effective protection from responsible, well-capitalized insurers.

The Office for Finance and Administration coordinates the procurement and acceptance of Certificates of Insurance from authorized insurers as needed to support these business relationships.

If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Terri Choinski.

Certificates of Insurance/Proof of Insurance

Certificates of Insurance / Proof of Insurance

What is a Certificate of Insurance?

A certificate of insurance is a document used to provide information on specific insurance coverage. The certificate provides verification of the insurance and usually contains information on types and limits of coverage, insurance company, policy number, named insured, and the policies effective periods.

Although the certificate should not be substituted for information contained in the actual insurance policies, it is usually a reliable source of information or proof of insurance coverage.

Certificates are usually requested by opposite parties in an agreement, contract, or transaction to make certain the other party has the appropriate insurance coverage.

If any University departments need guidance about evidence of insurance and additional insured coverage for third parties, you should contact Terri Choinski.

Requesting a Certificate of Insurance

To request any type of insurance certificate, please allow at least five workdays for processing.

For all certificate requests, be sure to provide:

  • Type of coverage
  • Name and dates of the event
  • Description of the activities
  • Name of the company receiving the certificate, including their complete address, contact name and contact's email address or fax number

Include your name and contact information including email address or fax number so that you will get a copy of the certificate. Certificates will either be emailed as a PDF or faxed.

If you have a question, please contact Terri Choinski in the Office for Finance and Administration.


Auto insurance has been secured for all University-owned, rented, and leased vehicles that travel on University business. The link below contains important insurance information on what to do in the event of an auto accident. Included are details of our auto insurance insurance carrier (which you will need to provide at the site of the accident), as well as a Vehicle Accident Report that needs to be completed so a claim can be processed.

Auto Insurance (fillable template)

United Educators, our general liability insurance carrier, requires reporting "as soon as practicable" an occurrence involving any of the "Nine Deadly Sins":

Nine Deadly Sins

Any questions about insurance claims, please contact Terri Choinski.

International Travel Insurance - new policy as of June 1, 2022

The University maintains insurance for international travel for faculty, staff, students and University-sponsored study abroad programs. To be certain that insurance extends to all destinations, please contact Finance and Administration regarding your international travel plans as soon as you know you are planning a trip. Very often, important information about health, safety, and other advisories can be found through the University's insurance providers and State Department websites.

The University's foreign travel program is provided by Zurich Group Travel Insurance.  There are links below to the membership identification card, the international travel insurance plan benefit brochure and the verification of coverage letter template (if needed).  Please feel free to distribute this information to the students participating as well.

The Policy number is GPT 0552815 (which is also listed on the membership identification card and the plan benefit brochure).

I would also strongly encourage you to enroll in the STEP Program (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program). This is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.

STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. You can also subscribe to receive updates on Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts and other information for a particular country by entering information about your specific trip.

The link to STEP is below:


Also, please refer to the State Department website for international country alerts and warnings:

State Department Alerts and Warnings

If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Terri Choinski.

The following are international travel insurance links for all University sponsored study abroad travel.