Forms, Policies, and Procedures
Cash Advance Form and Policy Info
Cash Advances are essentially loans available to faculty and staff for University-related travel or purchasing. Please be sure to use the Request for Advance form, completed fully with proper approvals, submitted to Procurement Services prior to the end of the day on the Monday of the week that the check is required.
Per policy, the Cash Advance needs to be printed on blue paper, or copies are available at any time in the Procurement Services office.
A Cash Advance should be cleared within 15 days of the completion of the travel, or the purchase, and can be done so by submitting a TME Form complete with invoices/receipts for all transactions.
If the expense is less than the amount taken with the Advance, all excess cash must be submitted along with the TME Form.
If the expense is more than the Advance, the difference will be paid to the traveler/borrower by means of a check processed in the weekly Check Run.
Please refer to the Cash Advance policy for all other instructions and limitations.
Check Request Form and Policy
Check Request forms are used to request issuance of a payment when no invoice is available. Please note that if an invoice is available, a Check Request is not required. An example of a situation when a Check Request might be required is in the event of payment for a service, as a referee used by Athletics, or payment for a performer.
A Check Request should also be used for reimbursement of goods purchased on behalf of the University using personal funds, and for which reimbursement has been agreed upon. For all travel, meal, or entertainment-related expenses please submit those reimbursement requests on a TME Form. An example of this type of purchase could be when supplies are required for an event, and a University employee or student purchases those supplies using their own personal method of payment.
Please be sure to always print out the Check Request form on yellow paper, per University policy, and they are also available in the Procurement Services office.
The Controller's Office and VP of Finance released a new Entertainment Policy, which is outline below.
We are making a change to current policy and also asking you to arrange for catering directly with Aramark personnel rather than through the CaterTrax system following the guidelines described below. The specific changes are as follows:
- Beginning February 26th, 2018, the University will no longer allow University operating accounts to be used to pay for meals that involve only University personnel, whether on- or off-campus. Food for workshops, training sessions, interviews, etc. that include non-University personnel is still allowable. Exceptions, with prior approval, will be made on a case-by-case basis where staff are not otherwise allowed normal meal times (e.g., departmental retreats).
This change does not affect meal reimbursements within the existing travel policy. Please contact Procurement in advance if you are not sure what might be covered by this change.
- The Aramark catering software (CaterTrax) operates on their national policies which require a minimum ordering size of 12. A review of our catering orders shows that this order size represents a disproportionate number of orders. Consequently, when ordering for fewer than 12, please place your order directly with Dawn Taylor, Aramark’s Catering Manager (X1636 or email@example.com). (Aramark will let you know when orders might be too small and require pickup rather than delivery.) Please always take advantage of this opportunity (that is, not pay for 12 meals when fewer are needed) to save University funds.
Gift Card Policy
WESTERN NEW ENGLAND UNIVERSITY
GIFT CARD POLICY
Western New England University’s policy regarding the purchasing of gift cards using University funds is as follows:
- Gift cards may never be purchased using the campus credit cards (aka ProCards), under any circumstances.
- Gift cards my never be purchased for current University employees, under any circumstances.
- Gift cards may be purchased for a guest, visitor, donor, volunteer, award winner, etc., in appropriate situations and circumstances, using one of the following methods:
- Purchased using a personal method of payment: reimbursement will be issued after the transaction is completed and a completed TME or Check Request form (depending on the specifics of the situations) is turned in. All receipts must be attached, a valid and appropriate GL account number used, and appropriate departmental approval (signature) given.
- Cash Advance: a student or employee can request a Cash Advance in order to have the funds to purchase the gift cards. This form must be filled out completely and authorized appropriately. After the purchase is made, the Advance will need to be “cleared” using a TME with all receipts and appropriate approvals provided.
- Check Requests: a Check Request, requesting payment to a specific vendor or organization, can be used to purchase gift cards in very limited circumstances. Please contact Procurement Services for more details on this option.
- With all options above, the names of all recipients of the gift cards must be provided, and all receiving the card(s) must sign for the card(s), acknowledging the receipt of it/them.
- If the cards are being given as compensation for an anonymous survey or program, please contact Procurement Services in regards to the limited availability of recipients to sign or provide their names.
- Standard reimbursement policies apply:
- All reimbursements must be turned in within one month of purchase.
- Any reimbursement over 60 days old requires the explicit approval of a department manager for funds to be issued, and will be sent to Payroll to be taxed.
- No tax is ever to be paid, and will not be reimbursed.
- Please refer to the TME Form & Policy for all other restrictions and requirements.
- All forms mentioned above are available on the Procurement Services page of the University website.
Hotel Reservation Requests
POLICY FOR USING HOTELS & MAKING RESERVATIONS FOR GUESTS COMING TO WESTERN NEW ENGLAND UNIVERSITY
- Accommodations are for any guest coming to Western New England University on University business, or as a guest of the University only.
- The department responsible for the guest, or acting as hosts of the guest, should first contact the President's Office (x1243) in regards to utilizing the University's guesthouse.
- In the event that use of the guesthouse is not feasible, and hotel accommodations have been recommended and authorized by a department head, chair, or manager, hotel reservations can be made.
- All reservation requests should come through the Procurement Manager in Procurement Services (Dan DiGloria, x1747).
- At no time should a guest or department contact a hotel themselves to make reservations since the special discounted rates offered to Western New England University are not published or on contract, therefore need to be made through specific contacts at the various hotels. This also ensures direct-billing to the University, and not to the guest directly.
- The following information should be provided to Procurement Services via the campus Reservation Request Form:
- Name of guest(s)
- Date of arrival
- # of nights of stay
- Room preference (smoking/non, king or double beds; although most of the larger hotel chains are no longer offering smoking rooms)
- What charges, if any, Western New England University is covering
- The name of the department or University employee requesting the reservation
- This form can then be faxed to Procurement Services (x2020) or emailed directly to the Procurement Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- When the reservations are completed, Procurement Services will contact the requesting department on campus with reservation confirmation numbers and any other relative information.
- The requesting department is required at that point to create a Purchase Order for the reservation with all provided information, as well as an authorizing signature(s) and appropriate account(s) for charges.
- When the invoice is received after the stay it will be sent to the requesting department and should be processed in accordance with standard invoice processing procedures.
Missing Documentation Form
Per University policy, all transactions and expenditures need documentation for payment or reimbursement. Meals at sit-down restaurants actually need two pieces of backup: the itemized slip as well as the credit card receipt. In situations where a receipt or invoice cannot be attained, we have allowed for missing documents for transactions of under $25 to be replaced by the Missing Documentation Form.
This form needs to be filled out completely and submitted along with the payment or reimbursement request (TME form).
This form is also accepted to take the place of a second meal receipt, even over $25, provided that the other receipt is supplied.
Moving Reimbursement Form
This normally pertains only to Faculty and Administrative Staff, but the University will often include moving expense reimbursement included in hiring contracts. Please refer to the Moving Reimbursement Policy below for specifics and guidelines, and the attached form will need to be completed and submitted, complete with appropriate approval signatures, backup, and all required documentation.
Petty Cash Form & Policy
Any time that a student or employee of the University needs to be reimbursed for an approved purchase of goods only, and that purchase is under $50, a Petty Cash Reimbursement form can be used. The attached document contains two of the Petty Cash forms, actually, so please submit only one form (half the page) for Petty Cash requests.
Once anyone starts looking around on the Procurement page of the University website, one thing that becomes very clear is that we have a lot of policies and procedures governing purchasing, payment requests, campus credit cards, reimbursements, etc. In light of that we put together a condensed Reference Guide that touches on all of the more important points, and allows folks to find answers a little more quickly than going through all of the various policies and procedures one at a time.
Please refer to the attached document, and hopefully most questions can be answered quickly and easily. If further clarification is required, however, please feel free to contact one of the Procurement staff members.
Student Advance Form & Policy
In cases when a Cash Advance is required for a student only, there is a special Student Advance form (attached) that is to be used. Unlike the Advance form that it is used by faculty and staff, the Student Advance form can be printed out on white paper. Please refer to the Student Advance Policy that's located below in regards to guidelines for completing and submitting the form, and when it's use is appropriate.
TME (Travel Reimbursement) Policy and Form
Travel, Meals & Entertainment Expense Reimbursement Policy
Please use this form to calculate expenses.