Jump to Footer

Need To Know

Information listed in this section is a helpful resource to our community. It provides a little insight towards some of the routine things we handle, as well as some of the less common aspects of our services.

University Photo Identification Cards

Your ID card is much more than just identification, it's a key piece of security equipment. It allows students access to their residence halls and faculty/staff access to the academic buildings. It's an important piece of your University experience so keep it with you all the time and never lend it out to anyone. If you happen to lose your ID, just stop by the station at any time and we'll make you a new one for a $20 fee. Also, you don't need a new ID card every year, so make sure you don't toss it out over the summer!

Lock Shop

The Lock Shop is is staffed by locksmiths Mike Chelkonas and Eddie Ortiz. They are responsible for the installation and assignment of all the locks and keys on campus. We use a patented key system that isn't available to the public. This increases security and reduces the chance that unauthorized duplicate keys will be made. The only keys the Lock Shop doesn't take care of are keys to your student mailbox. Mail Services handles those.

  • DID YOU LOSE YOUR ROOM KEY? - Losing your key creates a security risk, but it does happen from time to time. If it happens, log into Connect2U and file a work order for replacement. The Lock Shop will change your core and issue you and your suitemates a new key. There is a $100 fee for changing your locks, so don't lose your key!
  • YOUR ID CARD AND ACCESS CONTROL - The Lock Shop handles all the physical hardware in the residence halls that allows you access. If these aren't functioning, please call us at the station and let us know so the Lock Shop can get them repaired as soon as possible.
  • ALARMS - Some areas on campus have security alarms that report back to a central station monitoring system in our dispatch center. The Lock Shop handles the installation and repair of these alarm systems as well.

Information for Victims of Sexual Assault

Western New England University is committed to fostering a climate of tolerance and respect. WNE University strictly prohibits and will take prompt action to prevent, detect, investigate, resolve, avoid recurrence, and remedy acts of sexual assault, sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, domestic violence, intimate partner violence, dating violence, stalking, and retaliation as defined both in the Clery Act and under the University’s Policy on rights and responsibilities within Title IX. 

The Western New England University Police Department is available 24-hours a day every day of the year to assist victims who wish to report a sexual assault.  Our team of investigators, led by Detective Lieutenant Daniel Donohue, are certified Massachusetts sexual assault investigators and are also well trained in the current Title IX regulations.

Anyone wishing to report a sexual assault or related crime is encouraged to do so by first contacting the WNE Dispatch Center at 413-782-1300 and ask to speak with a sexual assault investigator.

Sexual Assault Information

Reporting Missing Persons


These are procedures for the University community regarding the reporting, investigation, and required confidential notification when a Residential Student is deemed to be missing. While the scope of policy and procedures is directed primarily to residential students and the staffs of the Division of Student Affairs and the University Police, all members of the academic community (students, faculty, staff, and administrators) share the responsibility of notifying designated University officials when they believe that a student is missing.

Questions regarding possible missing students should be directed to the WNE Police communications center by calling 413-782-1411 immediately.

download the missing persons policy

Standards of Police Training

The Western New England University Department of Public Safety is committed to providing the highest level of training for every Police Officer in the department. Training starts at the recruit level by attending the 18 week Special State Police Officer (SSPO) Academy, conducted by the Massachusetts State Police. After graduating from the SSPO, and before they are cleared for solo patrol, new Police Officers are involved in a 14 week Field Training and Evaluation program conducted by one of the department's Field Training Officers.

more about our training